Prologue

~ Disclaimer: The world the story is set in as well as most of the characters and the background story belong to J.R.R. Tolkien. Characters not mentioned in one of his works (such as Daera) belong to myself. ~

It was a big feast with lots of new people that had travelled far to attend, yet she hadn't expected to meet him there. In fact, had she had the slightest hope that he would come, she would have put on the soft white gown she used to wear in Lórien: it hugged her round the waist and its white sleeves almost reached her knees. She would not have put her hair up, but left it open to fall over her back. Not that the dark blue and silver, shoulder-free gown she was wearing now was not beautiful - she just would have wanted to look like she had in Lórien. For him.

Now it was too late, though, and he was looking at her - he had probably been watching her for a while. Nothing escaped his trained eye. She wished he would make his way over to her and feared it at the same time. After what felt like ages, he eventually did come. "Has you father sent you," she stammered, somehow suddenly unable to let it sound like a normal question. - "No, Lady Galadriel has. Besides, I have wanted to see this place since a certain person told me about it." - She blushed slightly, avoiding his glance. That was when she remembered how wrong it was what she was doing right now. How unfair to him. She almost jumped off her chair, making him put on that look of surprise that she found so adorable. "I have got to go. Maybe we'll meet again. Someday."

She turned around and started to walk away, determined that someday they would meet again, after she had decided what she was going to do. After she had sorted herself out. After five steps - when she thought she had actually got away with it - he suddenly stood in front of her. He was so fast. "I did not quite expect that," he stated. - "It's complicated..." She tried to turn away, but this time he had anticipated it and took hold of her arm. He was standing far too close now for her to try again and run away. His scent brought her back to Lothlórien, a time that seemed gone so long, although it only could've been a few years Then his soft lips were on hers and made her forget where she was. He put one hand in her neck, then moved it up onto the back of her head, finding the pins that were holding her hair-do and pulling them out. She circled his broad chest with her arms when his lips were trailing along her jaw. She would tell him, she promised herself. Soon.

She entered the flet and stopped dead when she saw he was putting on his beautiful armour. "Where are you going?" - "The humans need help," he just stated. "I am leading an army for the Lord and Lady and Elrond." - She shook her head as the whole world started to get blurry. If he died, it was her fault. "You can't go. You cannot go now." She let herself slide onto the floor. He kneeled down next to her, kissing her lightly on the lips. "I won't be gone for long and then we will work things out." - "Where are they sending you to?" - He got up. "Only to Rohan. The city is called Helm's Deep." And with that he left - his mind set on returning soon, and not to die.