Go watch Mat's theory, AHWM, and WKM if you haven't already! Spoilers ahead!

"Well, Mat. Sorry to do this, Buddy. But, as usual, you read too much between the lines. And I just can't have you getting in my way." Mat looked up at Mark, terrified. "So this is you? Just... character Mark?" "I don't need to answer you any more." "Mark, please." Mark rolled his eyes at him as he hoisted him up and dragged him to the cave. "You'll be happy here until you die. A cozy little cave for shelter. I'm sorry it had to end this way, Matthew. You would have been a wonderful character in my story." "Mark, it was just a theory." "Oh, I know. It's always just theories. But people take you just... a little too seriously, Friend. You must understand. It just... interferes with my plans. Goodbye, Mat..." Mark raised a rock, smashing it against Mat's head to ensure he couldn't follow him back and escape the island.

Years passed since the day Mark had disposed of Mat. He figured he must be long dead and gone by now. When you and the Mark woke up on shore of a deserted island, unbeknownst to you the same one Mat was dumped on, you proposed finding shelter to be the best idea. After finding a cave, a crazed man hopped up behind Mark, knife coated with blood in his hand. He seemed... almost excited to see Mark. His face had a hint of familiarity to it. You didn't quite recognize him, though you felt urged to trust him. Mark on the other hand was on edge. "Who the hell are you?" "My name isn't important, Friendo!" He screeched, an odd smile on his face. It struck you as odd. Why wouldn't his name matter? The thought crossed your mind that Mark and him already were acquainted, but why wouldn't Mark know him? You shook the thought away as he continued to speak. "What, are you afraid of a little bit of blood? Are ya? Hahaha!" He skipped around, urging you both to come inside. "You gotta separate your bones from your meat! Otherwise, you're gonna get chaos!" Despite Mark being the one who inquired about the bones, the hermit said this to you. Behind the crazy in his eyes and the blank, scary smile, you saw almost... a scared person offering you a warning. Like a metaphor. What did you need to separate from? He didn't make sense. Once again, you shrugged away the idea. It is just some guy who has went mad after years of isolation and starvation. 'Quit taking him so seriously.' You scolded yourself internally. "I haven't had someone in so long. You two look like such... interesting friends." His eyes lingered on Mark again. 'He does know him.' Your mind persisted. Mark must have felt the words directed at him too as he tried to deflect by calling you his "most interesting friend" while saying you could decide. Intrigued, you decided to accept the offer. But it sent chills down your spine when he said the table was already ready for the two of you. 'He expected us.'

"Let me get the lights for ya!" How did he figure out all this technology? Must have been some sort of genius. Little did you know how right you were. You just couldn't place that face yet. Not with the layers of grime and the weight loss. Matthew had used his knowledge of science to work around things on the island all those years. "But now I have you friends! Such... close friends. Close, close, close, close, close friends!" Your heart started to speed up, the blood and adrenaline rushing through your body, a pounding in your ears. This guy knew you. And he especially knew Mark. And you knew him too. You couldn't decide from where, but you knew you had to know him based off of how he acted and how you felt magnetically pulled towards him, to feel comfortable in trusting him despite the wacky quirks. You felt safe but also, worried for Mark. He didn't seem as genuine with Mark as you. The way Mark said he hadn't eaten in minutes and the sarcastic "I'm glad to hear" he retorted back with. Him pointing the knife at Mark as he said main course. It all seemed out of place. Like everything happening was planned far in advance for Mark. But why? Why would all of this be decided for Mark alone? What did he plan on doing? How would he assume Mark would even come here? Your mind raced as Mark asked you who should get first shots at some grub. Looking at the chair's straps, you decided you should go. You felt like if Mark was strapped in, something bad would happen. So you sat. He got in your face to strap you in, smiling at you. Again, behind the crazy as he spoke to you, he seemed soft. And for a minute, the voice broke and you recognized the tone. "Get you all set up here." His eyes met with yours a minute and you exchanged a knowing look. He moved to the other side. "For safety." Again, his eyes met with yours and you felt that he was assuring you that your were in good hands, he wasn't a threat to you. After he placed a hood over your head, he turned to Mark. "Perhaps you should close your eyes too." You began to feel your anxiety rising. What if you made a big mistake? Now you couldn't protect Mark yourself and he was trusting the man because you prompted him too. But then the hood came off. Before you was a lovely banquet and a safe, happy Mark. "You know, maybe being trapped on a deserted island ain't such a bad thing after all." Mark mumbled, crumbs falling from his overstuffed mouth. Mat gave him a fake laugh before looking to you, visibly annoyed. 'Is Mark to blame for him being stuck here?' Mark asked about him not eating and Mat answered with "I'm not hungry." But you just didn't feel convinced that was the reason and your heart sunk into your stomach.

For years after, he fed you and Mark. And you all became friends. You didn't know what was up with his attitude towards Mark but he tried to pretend it didn't exist as he cared for you both. But one day, he invited Mark to sit in the dining chair. Mark, giddy as could be, hopped into the chair. Mat told him to think about it favorite type of meat. "I want you to keep thinking about it. I want you to think about it and I want you to say it loud, real loud." A metaphor again. Mat didn't want Mark to literally talk about meat. No. This was some sort of revenge plot. Against Mark. In his head, in his broken mind, Mark was acknowleding whatever unspoken crimes be committed against Mat. He was admitting them, out loud, and he was apologizing. In his sick mind, he was playing Mark. But in reality, Mark was clueless. You didn't know what Mark had done, but even Mark didn't seem to know either. You tried distracting Mat and Mark shot you a look of confusion and frustration. "Hey, Y/N! I'm hungry! You always get to have the throne and hood!" He whined, oblivious. Mat fixed the hood on Mark's head and you felt afraid to interfere, just watching nauseously. "Alright, comin' right up, Friendo!" "Oh, I can't wait!" Mat bounced around him happily, knife grasped in hand. Your mouth dropped in horror as your fears all became reality in an instant. The knife clattered to the cave's floor and Mat's laughter rang out in echos as Mark choked on his own blood, hands clawing up towards his neck in an attempt to survive, to stop the pain. "Well dond." From the cave's opening, Mark's voice echoed deep and monotone as he gave a slow clap. He pushed his weight of the opening's wall and started to approach you, Mat, and Mark's no-longer-writhing body. "How?" Mat looked back and forth between the limp body and Mark, who was standing right before you. "Mat, your mind has lost you. I'm surprised you have survived all these years. You knew that I was a character, that I wasn't the real Mark. You have made my life easier though. Gaining full control will be a breeze without him in my way. I can make such wonderful art now. Without that imbecille." You stared at him in shock, still not understanding. His eyes met yours and a devilish, yet charming smirk came to his face. "You don't understand... Matthew had theorized about my existance. So I got rid of him. Too much of a risk to my plan. But he didn't die like he was supposed to. And his mind is... fragmented. Mark became the bad guy of. Like I've said in the past... every story needs a villain." He laughed. "So thank you both. For making this... oh so easy. And don't worry... your wife and son are safe with the new Mat." Mat's eyes widened for a second before Mark stabbed him. He dropped to the floor, gasping until his eyes went dark and he froze. "Ugh. Such a mess." Mark grumbled, checking his black suit for blood. It had stained the white flower and his bow tie. Finally accepting the loss, he looked back up at you. "You have seen too much... I'm sorry, Y/N." You shook your head frantically, trying to escape. The next thing you felt was a sharp stinging and a drowsiness, blinding you until darkness spread into nothingness.