Paint Fights and Ice Cream Shops

After we finished covering everything with plastic we started the long, difficult task of taking all the remaining wallpaper off the walls. Minji said we had to wear masks so we didn’t inhale any of the wallpaper pieces and coatings. I agreed since I have to protect my throat and voice.

        While we were working the grandmother said she was going to wait outside. I helped her put a chair outside so she would be able to sit down and enjoy the fresh air. At least once every 30 minutes I would go and make sure the grandmother was okay. I was worried about her because she was so old. I mean what would happen if she accidentally fell. She was old and she was having to wait outside so I felt bad for her.

        We made sure to try and finish up fast so we could get the painting done in time for it to dry before night fell. After a few hours all the wallpaper was gone and I went to bring the buckets of paint into the main room.

        “Y-yoongi, do you know the best way to paint walls?” Minji questioned me.

        I looked at her and she was holding a paintbrush like she was ready to teach me. She had a big smile on her face and I thought I should just let her have fun so I just shook my head.

        “I’ll show y-you.” She said. She dipped the paintbrush into the paint. I thought she was just going to start painting the walls like normal people would, but I was wrong. She took the paint brush covered in paint and put one long strike down the side of my face.

        Shocked I just stood there and she started laughing. After a minute I smiled and picked up a paintbrush of my own and put one line down her face too. I laughed at the shocked look on her face and then she tried to paint me again. I ran away and after a few minutes of trying to paint me a war broke loose. We were slinging paint at each other and yelling and laughing every time someone got hit. Minji smiled and laughed when a big glob of paint landed right on the top of my head, coating my dark brown hair with white paint.

        By the end of it all we were a mess. Minji had white paint splattered in her hair and paint all over her face. Her clothes were completely covered in it and she looked like a mess. Well a cute complete mess.

        Minji looked up at me and started laughing. “You look like you tried to take a bath in paint.” She said in between breaths.

        I walked into the bathroom close by and was shocked when I looked in the mirror. My dark brown hair was almost completely white. I had white paint all over my face and neck making me even paler than I naturally was. My clothes were completely ruined and I had to admit I looked pretty goofy.

        I walked back out to the main room and ruffled Minji’s hair. “Well at least we both match.” She looked at her clothes and her eyes widened in a panic. I started laughing again and Minji just glared up at me.

        “You two are such a cute couple.” I looked at the door and saw the grandmother standing in the doorway.

        Minji blushed and I looked over at her and smiled. “Grandmother, we’re not a couple. We’re only… friends.”

        The grandmother smiled at us. “What nonsense are you talking about.” She looked at us one last time before carefully going back outside to wait on us to finish.

        Embarrassed me and Minji started to paint the walls so we could finish. After awhile the awkwardness wore off. It didn’t take as long as we thought and when we were done we sat outside with the grandmother so we could wait on the paint to dry.

        “Grandmother, do you have any tools?” I questioned. The whole time I had been outside I couldn’t help but notice the broken mailbox in the front yard.

        She thought for a minute before she answered. “I still have some of my husbands old tools in the house.”

        I went to get the tools from the house and headed over to the mailbox. The mailbox had a dent in the side and the pole had been taken out of the ground by some trouble makers. The flag on the side was missing a screw to hold it onto the mailbox. I took a deep breath and got to work.

        I don’t know how long I worked for but when I finished I stood back and looked at the mailbox. The dent was gone and the flag was attached again but the pole was shorter than it originally was.  The mailbox still looked old and beat up but and least it wasn’t broken anymore.

        I went back inside to help Minji clean up all the plastic from the floor and finish cleaning up. When it was time to say goodbye me and Minji told the grandmother that we would be back soon to help her again.

        Before we left the grandmother told me to follow her inside. She went into a room and brought back a wedding photo in an old picture frame that seemed to have been made before I was even born.

        “This was me and my husband when we got married.” I looked at the photo and saw a young couple with bright smiles on their faces. “You two remind me of how much I loved my husband.” The grandmother smiled up at me.

        “Make sure you take good care of her or she’ll leave you.” I nodded at the grandmother even though she was confused about me and Minji. We were leaving so I didn’t think it mattered that much.

        When I finally told the grandmother goodbye and walked outside I saw Minji waiting for me at the street.

        “Minji why are you still here?’ I questioned. She looked up at me and smiled.

        “I was wondering if you had any p-plans.”

        Did Minji want to go on a date with me? I looked at my phone to check the time. I only had two hours left before Namjoon’s concert. “Um, I have two hours before I have to go to a concert. Do you want to go get some ice cream?” I asked. Did girls like ice cream? I feel a five year old asking a girl out on the playground.

        Minji smiled at me and nodded her head. We started our walk towards one of the only ice cream shops in our town. It was turning out to be a beautiful, bright and sunny day. On the way there me and Minji talked about random things, laughed and goofed off. When we arrived at the ice cream shop I was surprised to see Seokjin sitting at a table eating some weird bright pink ice cream.

        “Hyung.” I said surprised.

        Seokjin looked up and smiled. “Yoongi! What are you doing here?” He questioned. He looked beside me and saw Minji awkwardly standing there. “Who is this?”

        I looked at Minji and saw she was nervous so I felt bad for her. “This is Minji, my friend and Minji this is Seokjin, my old classmate.” Minji nodded at Seokjin and continued to stare at her even though she was obviously embarrassed.

        “Hyung!” I said mad that he was making her even more uncomfortable.

        He looked back at me and smiled. “My little Yoongi is all grown up.” Seokjin ruffled my hair and I pushed his arm away.

        Minji giggled beside me and I glared at her. She blushed and looked back down at the ground.

        “Hyung what are you doing in this part of town.” I said trying to changed the subject.

        He looked at me like he was confused. “I’m here for the same reason you are. I’m here to see Namjoon’s concert.”

        I quickly looked at Minji and saw all the color drain from her face. I grabbed her hand to get her attention and she just looked up at me and smiled like nothing was any different.

        I looked back at Seokjin. “Well I guess I’ll see you there.” Nervous that Seokjin would say even more things I didn’t want Minji to know about I started to make my way to the counter bringing Minji along with me.

        “Yoongi, be careful tonight.” Minji said quietly under her breath.

        Surprised, I looked at her, but she pretended like she had never said anything and just smiled at me.