Facing Our Demons

I was getting ready to walk up to Minji and yell at her when the grandmother decided to come outside. She looked at us for a minute and smiled. “You two need to make up because you’re absolutely adorable.” The grandmother turned around and walked back in her house and I mentally face palmed myself.

        When I got over the grandmother’s weirdness I looked at Minji. She was still standing there looking at the ground and I could tell she was nervous but I didn’t care. I was mad. All I wanted to do was scream and yell but honestly I was to tired to do anything. I just let out a sigh and walked closer to Minji.

        “Minji. I’m not going to forgive you or anything like that but I have been told I have to listen to your side of the story.” I mentally yelled at myself for doing something this stupid.

        Minji looked up at me just a little before she looked back down at the ground. “I-I’m not with N-namjoon.” She managed to get out.

        I groaned because it seemed like this was going to take a long time. “That still doesn’t explain why you were with him at the concert.”

        “I-i was trying to g-get him to l-leave you a-alone. N-namjoon has been t-trying t-to get r-rid of all your f-fans.” It took her a full minute to get it out but when she was finished I was shocked.

        “What do you mean get rid of my fans?” Really I didn’t have many fans but the ones I had were important.

        Minji took a deep breath and looked up at me. “Namjoon h-has been spreading r-rumors online and at c-concerts about you t-to t-try and get r-rid of all your f-fans.”

        I just stared at Minji for a long time trying to process what she had said. When it finally did I got even more angry. Namjoon was trying to get rid of my fans? In no way was that okay. Being an underground rapper meant you had a chance and no one is suppose to take that chance away. I was ready to go find Namjoon but then I thought about how he had his arm around Minji at the party. She still hadn’t explained that.

        I looked back at Minji. “Why did he have his arm around you at the concert? Are you just going to leave me for a jerk like him?”

        When Minji looked at me tears filled her eyes and she looked terrified. “H-he said the o-only way h-he would stop was i-if I dated h-him and I d-don’t want him to h-hurt you.” Minji took a deep breath and started again. “I w-was afraid Yoongi.”

        With her last sentence she broke down and started crying. I pulled her against me and just let her cry. Of course she was afraid. She was afraid off all guys but even more so of Namjoon ever since he slapped her. I felt all my anger building up. My anger at Minji’s dad for hurting her so long ago and my anger at Namjoon for reminding her of those times. I felt angry at myself for believing Minji would do anything against me. With every passing second I could only feel my anger getting worse but I wouldn’t act on that anger. I was going to come up with a plan later and get revenge. For now though I would just try to comfort Minji.

        When Minji finally stopped crying we went inside to visit the grandmother and she made us snacks. She talked about how cute we were as a couple and she was glad that we had made up. I can’t say that everything was back to normal because I could still tell Minji was worried about me and Namjoon and I was still upset that she had tried to fix my problems. Even though we had all that between us it was still comforting to have her sitting beside me on the grandmothers old worn out couch. I guess all the problems we had with each other would just have to wait until we had time to fix it.

        When we left the grandmothers house we decided to go to a park that was downtown. On our way there we stopped by a convenience store to pick up drinks and snacks. Minji had an obsession with canned coffee. I thought the stuff was disgusting but she loved it and I just really wanted some ramen. While Minji went to look for coffee I went to the ramen section.

        While I was looking for ramen a guy came in and he was completely drunk in the middle of the day. I just shook my head and continued to look for ramen. When I found two kinds that looked okay I went to the canned coffee to look for Minji. When I found her she was sitting in the aisle with a look of terror on her face. I quickly ran over to her and tried to help her but she was only staring off into the distance.

        I looked at the end of the aisle and saw the drunk guy looking at Minji. “Minji do you know that guy?” I asked.

        She was shaking and looked like she was about to pass out. “I-t’s m-my d-dad.” I looked back at the guy and saw him coming towards us.

        I pulled Minji to her feet and told her to stay behind me. I was going to try and walk out of the store without starting anything but Minji’s dad stood in front of me and tried to look behind me at Minji.

        “What are you doing.” I said trying to keep everyone calm.

        He looked at me like I wa crazy and I could tell he was a little more than drunk. “That’s my daughter you’re trying to hide.” He said and tried to reach behind me and grab Minji.

        I grabbed his hand and pushed it back at him. “I’m sorry sir but she doesn’t have a dad.”

        His face turned red and I saw the anger in his eyes. Even though he was drunk he looked like he would be able to put up a fight. I pushed Minji away just a little and told her to leave. She hesitated for a minute before running towards the checkout counter to get help.

        Minji’s dad tried to follow but I grabbed his arm. “I’m sorry but I can’t let you leave.”

        He turned around and punched me and I had to say for an old drunkard he could really punch. I put my hand up to my jaw and it was already sore. I thought about all the times Minji must have been hit like this and felt all my anger come back. I brought back my fist and punched him as hard as I could. He staggered back a few steps but he didn’t look seriously injured so I knew if help didn’t come soon I was screwed.

        “Hey Minji how about we call 911!” I screamed towards the check out station.

        I saw Minji asking the cashier to call 911 but I could tell she was panicking. I groaned, turned around and ran away from the guy. he was drunk so he shouldn’t be able to come after me very fast. He chased after me and for a drunk guy he ran fast. I only lasted a few minutes before I tripped and I knew then that this was not going to end well.

        Minji’s dad jumped on top of me and started to beat the crap out of me. My vision started to go black and I knew I was getting ready to pass out. He got in a few more punches and then I heard glass breaking. Minji’s dad’s eyes went blank and he slumped over. I looked up and saw Minji holding a broken beer bottle.

        After a few seconds she slumped to the floor beside me and I sat up. She looked at my face and started to cry.

        “You look like a mess Yoongi.” Was all she said and she passed out.

        I slowly got up and picked Minji up out of the floor. I carried her outside and sat her down on a bench in front of the store while we waited on the cops to show up. A few minutes later I heard police sirens. They pulled up to the store and took one look at us and told someone to help us. Minji was put into an ambulance and taken to the hospital.

        I stayed for a while to talk to the police and tell them what had happened. Minji’s dad was brought out in handcuffs and put in a police car. They told me he would be put in prison for at least a year. After the police had finished questioning me they gave me a ride to the hospital so I could make sure I didn’t have any serious damage but really I just wanted to make sure Minji was okay.