chapter one

i stared up at the castle in awe. this was my first year at hogwarts, and so far i had never experienced anything like it. as me and the other first years made our way to the boat, i tried to think of what house i would get sorted into. 

hufflepuff was out of the question; they were all goody-two-shoes that got along with everyone. while most people thought i was pretty nice i had to admit that i had a certain mean streak to me. slytherin was also a definite no. i didn't know why, but i just felt like that wasn't the house for me. despite being from a respectable and wealthy pureblood family. ravenclaw was a possibility, i took schoolwork very seriously and loved to learn. but the house i was hoping i would get sorted into, was gryffindor. just by looking at them you could tell that they were the pride and joy of hogwarts. dumbledore himself had been a gryffindor.

"yer youngins better just head yerselves over er"

the voice that had just interrupted my thoughts belonged to the groundskeeper, hagrid. the man was incredibly tall, obviously half giant, and had a ginormous beard that covered half of his face.

i walked inside the castle and my jaw dropped. my parents had told me about hogwarts of course, but looking at it in real live it was probably the most amazing thing i had ever seen. we were standing in a huge hall, the ceiling enchanted to look like it was the actual sky(i heard some bushy haired, buck toothed girl say)below the ceiling were hanging lanterns that eluminated the whole hall. back on the ground, there were four tables, one for each house. at the front of the hall, sat the professors and headmaster dumbledore which was horizontal compared to the other tables which were vertical.

me and my fellow first years made our way to the front of the hall to get sorted. i was so nervous i was practically shaking.

"umm, are you ok?" the dark haired boy with glasses i had met on the train asked.

"oh, er, yes just a little nervous" i admitted.

the boy smiled. "i'm sure you'll do great." 

i smiled back. "thanks, and i never got a chance to get your name?"

"oh, i'm harry. harry potter"

"you're harry potter?! the harry potter?!"

"erm, yes" harry responded.

i was shocked. harry potter was in my year! well, i mustn't act too shocked, after all, i hate it when people make a big deal about meeting me.

"well im brylen. bryen clearwater"

we grinned at each other and turned our attention to headmaster dumbledore, who had begun to call names.

"abbot, hanna"                                                                                                                                                                         a very nervous looking girl sat on the stool in front of her, and placed the hat on her head.

"HUFFLEPUFF"the sorting hat decided. everyone cheered,and after a few names, the buck toothed girl got called up. 

"granger, hermione"

"GRYFFINDOR"

"weasley, ronald"

"GRYFFINDOR"

"potter, harry"

everyone gasped. harry potter, the boy who lived,was at hogwarts?

he sat down on the stool,the hat seemed to be thinking. finally, after what seemed like forever, it seemed to make a decision.

"GRYFFINDOR"

everyone was ballistic. the were all cheering so loud my ears were starting to hurt. someone clapped in my face, so i just glared at them and they immediately stopped.

i seemed to have that effect on people.

after all of the noise died down, the headmaster started calling names again. the first one, was myself.

"clearwater, brylen"

i took  deep breath, walked to the stool, and placed the hat on my head. 

hmm, well hufflepuff is obviously a no. i don't quite think ravenclaw is for you either. you are very brave, but you are even more cunning and loyal. because of that, i think it's going to have to be,

"SLYTHERIN"

i sucked my breath in. i supposed it had always been a possibility; i came from a respectable pureblood family, i could be pretty mean when i wanted to. oh who am i kidding! i was probably always going to be in slytherin. i got up from the stool and walked towards my house table. i looked down at my once plain robes, which were now etched with green and had the slytherin emblem on it.

during my walk down, everyone from the other houses glared and booed at me. i gritted my teeth and clenched my fists to stop myself from crying. i would not make a scene here.

when i reached the table, a boy with a pale complection and platinum blonde hair waved me over to him and his other friend.

"hi. im draco malfoy, your brylen clearwater right?"

"the one and only" i answered.

draco smiled and pointed to his friend, who had dark black hair, and violet eyes.

"this is blaise zabini, my best mate"

i shook blaise's hand and immediately could tell that we would be close friends. 

draco then turned to me again.

"don't worry about those gits who think they're so much better than us. well take care of you. your our girl now."

i smiled and for the first time since i got here, i felt at home.