Chapter Fifteen- The New Lost Boy

When I woke up, I was on the ground under some bushes right next to the cove. I sat up quickly, looking around, wondering how I'd gotten to the cove from where I'd almost drowned. I looked around in the sand 

Across the cove, the five I'd seen on the ship were stepping out of the water. But they couldn't have saved me- if they had, they would have kept me for questioning. I quickly stood and stepped back into the bushes where they couldn't see me. Looking to the side, I saw that the pirate's ship was wrecked.

Smiling, I turned around and began flying back to camp. I was under the trees, low so that no one could see me.

Ahead of me, at the end of the path, I saw a campfire. Strange- the campsite isn't for another mile or so.

I hid behind a tree, peering into the clearing. There was a man there, with hair down to his shoulders. He had a coat that went down to his knees, leather boots, and a dagger. It was wavy and had something inscribed into the blade, but I couldn't make out just what it said. He was handing it to something- squinting, I saw it was a shadow. But it wasn't Peter's shadow- it was his own.

He said something to his shadow, then gave him the dagger right as the shadow flew up. I followed it.

It flew quickly, almost too quickley for me to keep up. I took a deep breath, trying to stay on course, but it turned around and saw me.

Upon spotting me, it started flying randomly. It would twist left and go down and fly back up, trying to force me off track. I kept following. It flew around a mountain and to Dead Man's Peak and down to the ocean under it and back up again. Finally, it turned around and flew towards me. My momentum was too strong, and I couldn't stop or fly backwards.

As it apporached, it held it's hand out and grabbed me- no not me, my shadow. I reached towards my sword but remembered I'd forgotten it (that's the second time I've needed it- I really shouldn't have left it at camp). It started pulling on my shadow- it was quite possibly the worst feeling I'd ever experienced. If I were to describe it, I would say it felt as though he was ripping off my skin, right off my muscles and bones. The worst part was, I wasn't flying anymore- I was being held by the shadow (well, technically i was being held by my shadow, which was being held my the shadow, but that's a bit too wordy).

I reached up and tried to hit the man's shadow, but my hand went right through it. Writhing, I chocked out a measley "Let go," before something else came.

It was Peters shadow, flying in and taking the man's shadow and throwing it away. I started falling, hurling towards the ground at an alarming speed (at least I still had my shadow, though). I saw Peter's shadow looking at the other man's shadow and seeing the dagger. He almost followed it, but turned towards me instead. It flew down and caught me before I hit the ground.

It lowered me until I could land on my feet. As it flew back up, I smiled at it.

"Thanks," I said.

It nodded at me before flying off.

Looking around, I decided to fly up, right above the trees, just to see where I was- pretty close to the camp, actually.

I was going to fly, but decided against it- I was running out of pixie dust, anyway.

Walking along the path, I finally saw the campire- the farmiliar one- and heard Peter's voice.

"What do you mean you haven't seen her?" he shouted. "You mean to tell me you noticed she was gone without her sword and didn't go looking for her?"

I stepped into the camp. "Peter-"

He turned around, his eyes full of frustrastion and fear and anger, but it all left his eyes as he saw me. 

"Tiger-" he sighed and ran to hug me. His arms held me tight, so tight I could barely move.

 "Hey-" I let out a laugh. "Hey, Peter, it's okay."

He let me go but kept his hands on my arms. "Where were you? And without your sword, I thought something terrible could have happened or-"

"It's fine, I can handle myself," I smiled. "I mean, sort of...."

"What?" he asked, concern filling his eyes. "What happened?"

"Well... I almost died... twice. I guess I'm sort of useless without my sword," I said, laughing. "But I was saved by- well by your shadow, and-" I stopped.

"What? And who?"

"I... I don't know..." I said. I was drowning and then I just... woke up. On the beach, in the cove."

He looked at my eyes. I could still see the concern in his.

"I'm okay, now, Peter," I said.

He sighed, but didn't break my gaze. "So you don't know how to fight without a weapon, then?"

"Well-" I looked down. "No, I guess not."

"I'll teach you, then," he smiled. "And, the ship I asked you to watch? Where are the people on it?"

"Their ship wrecked," I told him. "They're on this island."

He nodded. "I thought so."

"Ad there's someone else- a man," I remembered.

"Yes," Peter nodded. "When you found him, what was he doing?"

"He was giving this dagger to his shadow. I tried to chase it, but..." I sighed. "It didn't work too well."

He nodded. "Yes, that my complicate things," he said. "But it'll also make the game more interesting."

I smiled. Then looking over his shoulder, I saw something- a boy, one who looked to be about twelve. He wore a red flannel shirt and normal blue jeans, and he was rested on a long, flat-ish log, unconscious.

I slowly walked over. "Is- is that-" I turned around, staring at Peter. "Is that him?"

"Yes," Peter said, his smile wide. "That's him."

I turned back towards the boy- the truest believer.