Chapter 3: Receiving Information

"Wow!" Happy exclaimed.

The museum was huge. It was almost as big as a mansion, despite it being one building. Two fountains were placed on each side of the door, and bushes spelled out museum on each side. Carie was plastered on the top of the museum door, which was the name of the city they were in. Even with everyone looking at it, Lucy looked down sadly, going off into her thoughts again. Natsu was looking at her worredly, and frowned at her when they started to walk towards the building.

"This sure is an expensive town," Gray mumbled, a sweat drop falling down his head.

"Welcome, Fairy Tail!" An assistant replied, bowing. "The Manager thanks you so much for coming. Please, this way." She led them down a long hallway, filled with paintings. the floor was covered in a royal red carpet, with heavy pillars lining the wallls. Even Lucy was driven from her thoughts to look at the magnificents of the structure.

The female assistant led them through a wooden door to the right; letting everyone in, she smiled. "Please wait here until the Manager can see you. I've prepared some refreshing drinks for you while you are waiting."

"Thank you." Erza replied. "You are too kind."

"We'll take care of your luggage aswell." She replied. "We'll put it somewhere safe until you find a place to stay."

Erza nodded, and the assistant shut the door quietly.

It was a square room, with four columns in each corner. Painting lined the walls; scrolls written in beautiful hand writing aswell. A big red carpet with golden markings lining the ends covered the floor, glowing in the light. In the middle of the room was a round table with six drinks on a tray. Spread out around the table was comfy pillows that served as seats.

"I'll say it again," Gray replied as he sat on one of the pillows. "This is a rich city."

Natsu fell into one of the bigger pillows, and laughed. "These pillows are awesome."

Erza took a sip of her drink. "This tea is so sweet. It really warms you up inside."

Lucy took a drink of hers to try it. "It really helps."

A moment of silence appeared, everyone thinking of how nice this all was. Lucy was looking sad, her mind reverting back to all the times she had gotten the guild in trouble, or when she could save her friends when they were in danger. Natsu was watching her, with the same worried and puzzled expression on his face. Not long later, the door started to creak open, and everyone turned to look at the door.

Then appeared a tall yet formal man, who dressed in fancy clothing. He looked to be in his twenties.

Everyone stared at the man with puzzlement, until he coughed to clear his throat. "Welcome to my museum. I am the manager of this building; my name is Mr. Coen. It's a pleasure to meet all of you." The Manager politely bowed and smiled cheekily when he recognized everyone there. "I'm so pleased that Fairy Tail's Strongest Team is here to help me out with my predicament."

A small sweat drop appeared on Lucy's head. Nothing get's past him, that's for sure.

Mr. Coen walked over to the desk on the side of the room, and sat in the chair behind it.

He cleared his throat. "As you must have read on the flyer, a certain artifact has been acting peculiarly these last few days."

"Speaking of the flyer, Sir, why did you specifically ask for Natsu and Lucy?" Erza asked.

The manager sighed. "Yes, everyone has been asking me about that lately..." He paused. "The reason for that is because of the magic they use."

"The magic?" Lucy started.

"That we use?" Natsu finished in awe.

Coen nodded. "Natsu Dragneel, you are a dragon slayer, correct?" Natsu nodded nervously. "And you are a Celestial Wizard, right?" He asked, turning towards Lucy. Lucy nodded. "In the myth where the staff originated, it was said to be created by a Dragon Slayer and a Celestial Wizard. They wanted to use it in combat, as partners, but they created a dangerous weapon. An evil wizard by the name Blackviel stole the staff, and used it to kill hundreds of people. His power increase tenth fold, and no one could stop him." Coen's face turned dire. "Until an actual dragon made Blackviel surrender, and he perished."

"A dragon?" Natsu flinched. Everyone stared in awe at the manager and waited for the story to continue.

Coen nodded. "Yes, a dragon. But even when Blackviel died, they couldn't destroy the weapon. That was because the evil dark magic that Blackviel possesed hadn't left the staff. But they knew that the longer it stayed in this world, the weaker it would become. So, until it lost it's power for good, they couldn't destroy the staff. Every year the weapon's power decreased, but oh ever so slowly. As the years passed, it was passed down, and ended up in this museum."

"But that doesn't explain why you specifically asked for Lucy and Natsu." Gray murmured.

"We needed the same mages to destroy the staff as the same who created it. But, the legend says that even though the weapons power would decrease, if a dicendent of Blackviel ever got near the blade, it will fully regenerate in power, making all of those past centuries lost." Mr. Coen looked at Lucy and Natsu. "All of you, especially you two, need to destroy the blade before it gets so powerful as to where you can't destroy it."

"So all this means that there is a descendant of Blackviel who is looking for the staff?" Lucy asked quietly. The old man nodded. "And what would happen if this person got ahold of this staff?" She asked nervously.

There was a pause while the young man thought it over. "Certain doom."

Everyone cringed, their eyes widening in surprise.

"That's allloooot of pressure." Gray whistled.

"So how do we destroy it?" Erza asked.

"I do not know."

Everyone hit the floor, twitching.

"What do you mean you don't know?!" Lucy yelled, sitting up and rubbing her head.

"The engravings on the staff tell you how, but we can never get close enough to it, for fear of being killed by the staff itself." Coen replied smoothly.

"So who's going to walk up to it and read it?" Erza murmered, putting a hand under her chin, thinking.

"I'll do it."  Everyone looked at Lucy surprisingly as she stood.

"Lucy?" Natsu asked surprisingly.

Her face was determined, and her fists were clenched. "I've been practicing putting up barriers." Lucy explained. "I should be able to get close enough to read it if I leave up a barrier."

"Are you sure Lucy? I mean, it could get seriously dangerous." Gray warned.

Lucy gave a thumbs up silently, and gave a big grin. "I'll be fine." This way I'll actually be a little useful.

"So it's settled." Coen replied, walking towards the door. He opened it and held onto the door knob, turning back towards Lucy. "We'll try tomorrow night. I have a hotel rented for you, so you can stay there until tomorrow."

"Hang on, why do we have to wait so long?" Gray commanded, standing up.

"We've figured out a pattern witht the devilish object. It usually goes crazy twice during the day, and once a night once a week. Which, according to my calculations, is tonight. So we will start tomorrow night, after it has subsided for the day. For your saftey, of course." He added, shutting the door.