A Lovely Proposition

In the dead of night, Luna is awoken. It isn't the sound of crickets or the pitter-patter of the rain that makes her squirm, no, it's the tell-tale sound of her floorboards creaking in the living room. Immediately, she goes dead silent, putting a hand over her mouth to ease her breathing. At this point, the intruder has gone eerily silent as well.

Shit.

Luna contemplates peeking her head outside the door, to catch a glimpse of her elusive captor. What would they look like? Had she seen them before in passing? Had she messed up a report and a victim had come for revenge? She imagines cold, icy eyes lighting up as they slowly watch her die. Would they enjoy it? Her captor's eyes flit through the color spectrum, turning a poison green, or an empty brown. There's an air of playfulness in her imaginary killer's eyes, taunting her.

Maybe it's the Blue Blood Killer.

She can't help the thought as it crosses her mind. It would make perfect sense for him to come and finish off the job. Maybe he would put her out of her misery, as he describes how he dismembered and raped Sarah. Luna shudders, letting out a sigh as she thinks about her dearly departed cousin again. It seems like she can't stop thinking about Sarah. Luna rubs at her temples and relaxes onto her bed. This is ridiculous. She needs to calm down and think.

On second thought, she could just be sleep deprived. It made sense, considering her long nights chugging coffee until she couldn't be bothered to stay awake any longer. There was no way somebody was in her house, right? Surely she would know, considering her windows are quite noisy, and god forbid someone comes in through the front door.

I can't believe I thought someone was in my house. I need to get myself together.

Luna finally drifts off to sleep after a few hours of nervous flitting about in her bed, unaware of the lingering presence inside her house.

When she wakes up again, something is clearly wrong. The smell of coffee fills the room. Unless she has a guest that she forgot about, there's definitely an intruder in her house. Thinking back to the last few days, she can't recall inviting anyone over, but... she hasn't been sleeping well lately.

"Hello!?" she says, like an idiot. Law enforcement training told her specifically to not do this, but when there's a real intruder in your house, things get quite different.

There's a distant shuffle from her kitchen and she can hear someone walking up to her door, knocking politely. She represses the urge to scream.

"Can I come in?" A jolly voice sounds from behind the door, immediately putting Luna on guard. Whoever this is sounds like he knows her. She definitely doesn't recognize this voice.

"Do I know you?" Luna can feel herself tensing up.

"No, I don't believe so!" The door opens, revealing a man in a white coat, with his hair slicked back. He's holding one of her mugs, filled to the brim with coffee.

Luna is frozen in shock.

"Wh-what are you doing in my house!?" She eyes her room, looking for anything that could be used as a weapon, but finds nothing. 

"Such a shame. You didn't ask me that the other times I was here, so why now?" The man eyes her smugly, looking for a reaction.

"T-the other times? Who the fuck are you!?" She looks him up and down, hoping for an opening to incapacitate him, but finds nothing. He would most certainly overpower her.