The Outsider

Disclaimer: I do not own The O.C. I only own Sam. Anything you recognize belongs to FOX and Josh.

Sam's POV

I was riding my bike down the board walk. Ryan and Seth were also with me. Ryan was riding his bike and Seth was on his skateboard; he was being an idiot, trying to do tricks that seemed cool and he managed to almost fall off at least four times. We went to the Crab Shack and found ourselves staring at a lobster in a tank, as for why, I had no clue. After a minute—which felt like hours—I looked between Seth and Ryan.

"So what is the point of this?" I questioned.

Ryan shrugged; he also seemed to have no clue.

We need to have respect for each other before meeting in battle. And eating lobster is a battle, as you two will soon learn." Seth replies. Though I didn't really understand what the hell he was talking about, I gathered that we were going to eat the lobster.

I turned back to the lobster; it seemed to be looking at me. I now have no desire to eat lobster.

We eventually sat down at a table outside and then had the lobster. I didn't eat much. I wasn't very hungry and lobster didn't exactly taste that good; but that's just my opinion. I don't know why people always talk like it's the best thing. I guess it's a good thing Ryan and I shared an entrée.

Ryan then left to go the bathroom and Seth looked at me. "So my sources say that you went out with Luke." Seth stated.

"And where did you hear that exactly?" I arched an eyebrow.

"So you guys did go out on a date?"

"No. We just went to grab food because whatever the stuff they had a cotillion was not edible." I guess it could seem like a date of some sorts. And I don't know if I would have minded if it was a date, but I don't think Luke thought of it that way. I mean, I think the girl should know if it's a date. The whole thing between him and Marissa is complicated.

"Having dinner together is a date."

"And you would you know exactly, what, about that?" I quipped.

"That's cold." Seth said, seeming a bit hurt by the remark.

"Look, I don't even know where he stands with Marissa."

"I am pretty sure you don't have to worry about those two ever since what he pulled at cotillion."

I guess he had a point there. But that wasn't the only factor of me having doubts. "We haven't exactly talked since that night." I admitted. It's been a week and he hasn't said a word to me since. I am not sure what to think.

"Well that's because he's an ass." Seth replied as Ryan came out of the bathroom.

"What are you two talking about?" Ryan questioned. Seth looked me and I gave him a look to not say anything. I didn't want Ryan to know. I knew how he felt about Luke.

"Is that a new shirt?" Seth was looking at Ryan, ignoring the question.

"Yeah, your mom bought Sam and me new clothes. Which she didn't have to do by the way." Ryan replied. Ryan didn't like the fact that the Cohens were buying him all these things. He felt guilty about it. I mean, I still kind of felt weird about it. But that's mostly because I'm not used to people giving a damn about me, let alone buying things I need; and nice stuff at that. It's going to take some more getting used to. It's more that than anything. I mean, they are our legal guardians. I am also pretty sure they get some funds for taking Ryan and I in. Ryan was wearing a button up shirt meanwhile I was wearing a dark flannel shirt with jeans. It wasn't anything fancy. But actually having new clothes of my own to wear—that didn't have holes in them or were too big—does feel pretty good.