Almost is Never Enough - Ariana Grande

'I'd like to say we gave it a try
I'd like to blame it all on life
Maybe we just weren't right,
But that's a lie, that's a lie'

Bai Qian looked at herself in the mirror and smiled at the view that greeted her. Today was her wedding day and everything was perfect. Her hair was done with perfect curls, her face made-up with perfect shades, a dress designed perfectly for her, and a groom too perfect for words. She had no complaints... Except.

A knock sounded on the door.

"Come in!" she said and her eyes lit up when she saw him. Her heart felt like it was about to explode.

"Hey..." Mo Yuan greeted as he closed the door behind him.

"What are you doing here? Is there something wrong?" She asked worriedly.

"Oh! No... Everything is fine out there." He cleared his throat. "But umm..."

"What is it?" she stepped towards him. He took a step back. And it didn't go unnoticed to her.

'And we can deny it as much as we want
But in time our feelings will show

'Cause sooner or later
We'll wonder why we gave up
The truth is everyone knows'

She met Mo Yuan in college – she was a freshman and he, a sophomore. Midterms were coming up and almost everyone was in the library studying. She had her earphones with random instrumental music playing in her ears to help her focus in studying. She was so engrossed in her book that she didn't notice her pen that fell on the floor. She felt a tap on her shoulder, and she looked up to see the deepest set of brown eyes she has ever seen.

"You dropped your pen," he said with a smile as he handed it to her.

"Thanks," she grinned back as she took it.

They became inseparable since then. People teased and hounded them about their friendship. They said that a man and a woman can't be just friends. She and Mo Yuan ignored them. They chose to stay close and cheer each other on through life. They had a froyo ritual. When they were celebrating something, they would get froyo at their favorite Menchies branch. When they were sad and needed a pick-me-up, to froyo land at Menchies they went as well. They even had a table that they secretly carved their initials on. She didn't see anything wrong with that. They were best friends and that was what best friend did.

It was when Mo Yuan met Xuan Nu that everything changed for Bai Qian. He started spending less time with her and more time with his girlfriend. At first, she thought she was just jealous because she felt like she was losing her friend. But, with time, she knew that what she felt was something more.

So she dated Li Jing, the bad boy heart throb. They were the talk of the town. He made her feel things that every girl dreamed of – all except that one elusive feeling that she has only ever felt for one man – that man. He made her feel like she was on an adventure every time they were together. He made her feel special. But just as how high their highs were, so low were their lows. So she ended it with him. By that time, Mo Yuan was on his last year of college and was dating someone new - woman named Yao Guang. A woman that he followed to New York where they eventually broke up, but he decided to stay there anyway.

When Mo Yuan left for New York, his twin brother Ye Hua came back home from college in Seattle. Bai Qian met him, and everything was history.

'If I could change the world overnight
There'd be no such thing as goodbye
You'll be standing right where you were
And we'd get the chance we deserve oh'

"I'm really sorry, Qian Qian. I can't stay. There's an emergency at work and they need me to fly back immediately. I have to head to the airport in 15 minutes. Otherwise, I'll miss my flight." he reasoned as he awkwardly ran his fingers through his hair and his other hand tucked in his pantsuit.

"Really? I thought you took the weekend off?" she asked with brows furrowed. 'The least he could do was stay for the ceremony. He didn't need to attend the reception.'

"I did... But it's an emergency. I'm the only one..." he trailed off.

"I understand. Work is important. At least you're here now. I'm really glad I got to see you today. Thank you for being here," Bai Qian told him as she let a small laugh out. "...even though you do have to leave before the actual ceremony." She put down her bouquet on the table beside her and gave him a quick hug. "Well..." she added as she plastered a smile on her perfectly made-up face.

"Right... Uhh... I'm gonna talk to Ye Hua first and then I'll be heading off."

"Alright... Take care, okay?"

"Of course. You too. I guess the next time I see you, I'll be calling you sister-in-law." He gave her a smile as he opened the door. "Welcome to the family."

"Thank you... Have a safe flight..." she said, trying to fight back the tears that were threatening to come out. She waved him goodbye as the door closed. A single tear broke through and she wiped it away as quickly as she could. 'He never felt the same way as I do - did... At least now, I won't be distracted. I do love Ye Hua. And I am getting married today.' She forced herself to smile but it didn't quite reach her eyes. Deep down, she knew that if he stayed, she might just end up doing something she would regret.

'Almost, almost is never enough
So close to being in love
If I would have known that you wanted me
The way I wanted you
Then maybe we wouldn't be two worlds apart
But right here in each other's arms

Here we almost, we almost knew what love was
But almost is never enough