Marry Me - Thomas Rhett

And "Marry me" – Bruno Mars

"She wants to get married; she wants it perfect
She wants her grandaddy preaching the service
Yeah, she wants magnolias out in the country
Not too many people, save her daddy some money

Ooh, she got it all planned out
Yeah, I can see it all right now
"

Mo Yuan got off the uber and pushed the glass door open. Menchies was empty save for the cashier. He was drunk and could barely see straight, but he's been here too many times in the past. He knew where everything was. He took a plastic cup and proceeded to add a few ounces of chocolate and some coconut flavored frozen yogurt. He spread some almond slivers on top, just the way she liked it. Her favorite chocolate bar was Almond Joy and this mixture of froyo tasted somewhat like it.

"But it's healthier since it's yogurt," he smiled as remembered her words.

He found their table and put his overfilled cup on top as he carelessly took a seat. He almost fell off and he laughed as tears ran down his face. Their initials were still there – a permanent reminder of a happiness that he could never have... would never have. He put his elbows on the table and rested his forehead on his palms. He sobbed.

While he said his goodbyes to her, he knew he had to make it quick and straight to the point. He didn't want to accidentally say anything that he shouldn't. He couldn't risk touching her either, so he took a step back and kept the space. When she gave him a quick hug, it took everything inside him not to hug her back. If he did, he might just do something he knew he would regret.

'I remember the night when I almost kissed her
Yeah, I kinda freaked out, we'd been friends for forever
And I always wondered if she felt the same way
When I got the invite, I knew it was too late'

The first time that Mo Yuan met Bai Qian was at a day glow paint party on a Saturday night. It was his turn to be the designated driver, so he turned down all alcohol. He wasn't really one for drinking anyway. He saw her on the dance floor laughing with her friends and he was immediately captivated by her smile. Her eyes found his and she slowly made her way to him. He couldn't take his eyes off her as she reached the spot beside him with face flushed from the mix of dancing and alcohol.

She leaned into his ears after taking two shots, "Wanna dance?"

He nodded and she grabbed his hand to pull him to the dance floor where they spent the rest of the night dancing and laughing. Unfortunately, his friend pulled him away for a brief minute and when he came back to their spot, she was already gone. He didn't even know her name. The next time he saw her was a few weeks later during midterm week. They were in the library and her pen fell on the floor.

'Now's my chance,' he thought as he picked it up and tapped her on the shoulder. His heart dropped when he realized that she didn't recognize him. But he stayed, they talked, and they became friends – the best of.

She pushed him to start dating girl from her class, Xuan Nu. All he could remember of her was that she looked like his Qian Qian. They dated briefly but he knew it wasn't gonna work out so they broke up. Another college party and, again, he was sober. He really didn't like the taste of alcohol. So, he watched her and her friends and made sure that they didn't get into too much trouble. She smiled at him with tantalizing eyes that he could get lost in for hours. He saw her eyes fall from his brown eyes and down to his lips. He gulped nervously as she leaned in closer, and fireworks exploded in his mind as their lips touched.

It was only for a split second, but he would remember that kiss for the rest of his life. He was remembering it now as he drunkenly sobbed in a froyo shop. But she didn't. He never brought it up for fear of what she might say especially since she started dating Li Jing after that party.

College ended for him and real life happened. A big opportunity was offered to him in New York and, as he was contemplating on turning it down to head back home to her, he got a call. It was her. She was with his twin brother in a café. They just met and he could see the sparks fly between them. So, he decided to take the offer and stay in New York. Away from them. Away from her. Away from hurt. But it still hurt, nevertheless.

'And I know her daddy's been dreading this day
Oh, but he don't know he ain't the only one giving her away
'

He really didn't have a flight to catch but he knew he had to get out of there. He didn't plan it, but he had to do it. He was hurting too much. If he stayed... Well... Best not to tempt fate.

He sat in the empty yogurt shop, sobbing on their table with a cup of froyo in front of him thinking of what might have been. Of what could have been. Of what could be. But he could never do that to his brother. Not even for her.

"Bet she got on her dress now, welcoming the guests now
I could try to find her, get it off of my chest now
But I ain't gonna mess it up, so I'll wish her the best now"

Bai Qian drove her car not really knowing where to go. Her emotions were all out of whack. She knew she should go to the airport to try to stop him from leaving but something was off. Something didn't feel right. Before she knew it, she was in the parking lot of their favorite froyo shop. And there he was, still in his tux, sitting on their spot with his face buried in his hands.

She walked inside the store and heard him sob into his hands. A smile broke from her face. 'Was I wrong about his feelings, all this time?' she thought as she approached him.

'So I'm in my black suit, black tie, hiding out in the back
Doing a strong shot of whiskey straight out the flask
I'll try to make it through without crying so nobody sees

Yeah, she wanna get married
Yeah, she gonna get married
But she ain't gonna marry me
Whoa, she ain't gonna marry me'

He saw a hand pull his melted cup of froyo away and replaced it with another one. A mix of peach and mango flavor with crushed peanut toppings – his favorite - only one person knew that. He looked up and there she was in her white dress and her hair undone. Her eyes red, mascara slightly smudged, but a bright smile shone under her red lips.

"You forgot coconut flakes," he heard her say.

"Huh," he asked confused.

"I like coconut flakes in my almond joy froyo. It adds an extra umph... you know..." she said, eyes locked on his, as she took a spoonful of the now melted dessert. "And I like it a little more..."

"Frozen?" he asked.

A second passed, and they laughed. It's been a while since they laughed like this. He looked around the store to see where his brother was. When he didn't find him, he looked back at her.

"We both decided not to go through with the wedding. We realized at the last second that, although we wanted to get married, we just didn't want to get married to each other." She answered the question in his eyes.

He could feel his heart pounding like it was about to explode.

"Do you maybe want to start over?" she asked him with an eyebrow cocked up in a tease.

"Start over?" his brows furrowed in confusion.

"Yes. Like this." She cleared her throat, stood up, and stretched her hand in front of him. She maintained eye contact and smiled. "Hi! My name is Bai Qian. And I'm in love with you."

He wiped a tear that fell down his cheek, stood up, and took her hand in his. "I'm Mo Yuan. And I'm in love with you."

He pulled her close and he did something he should have done many years ago. He kissed her. And he knew, this was something he would never regret doing.

'It's a beautiful night, we're looking for something dumb to do
Hey baby, I think I wanna marry you'

"Qian Qian," he said as he held her close and blurted out. "Will you marry me?"

She froze in his arms and he mentally scolded himself for not keeping his mouth shut. She pulled a step away but still held on to him. She tilted her head up and looked into his eyes with a smile. 

"Yes."

'Is it the look in your eyes, or is it this dancing juice
Who cares baby, I think I wanna marry you
'