Chapter Nine

Steve smirked at the two of us as he listened to the conversation. Bucky looked towards me and let out a soft chuckle. "Why's that?" Bucky asked. A soft blush rose to my cheeks and chewed my lip, contemplating what to say. "No reason.." I began. "I just thought it could've gone better."

Bucky smiled at me and shrugged. "It's not your fault." he reassured. I looked down, not wanting to make eye contact. "I promise it's not." he said again. Steve had pulled the truck off to the side and turned around to face us.

"Okay, love birds. We're gonna walk the rest of the way. It's not far." Steve said as he hopped out. Bucky followed him and they both helped me out. I winced as my feet hit the ground. "How's your side?" Bucky asked I lifted my shirt and showed him. The wound was right above my hip and Steve happened to catch a glance.

Before we started walking, Bucky reached into the vehicle for gun. "What happened?" Steve asked as the three of us started walking with at least four hundred men behind us. I looked back at Steve and shook my head. "HYDRA. Kruger doesn't have the best aim." I stated. "You're okay though, right?"

I rolled my eyes and smiled. "If I wasn't, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be walking with everyone right now." I replied. I still had a little bit of a limp and Steve noticed. He wrapped his arm around me, letting me lean against him. Eventually, we made it to a metal gate, and a bunch of other soldiers watched as we appeared over the hill.

Someone opened the gate and let us through. Steve turned to Bucky, giving him a smile, and placing his hand on his shoulder after letting go of me. Bucky looked back over at Steve then to me, making sure I was doing okay. The Colonel walked up to us and looked Steve dead in the eyes.

Steve saluted then pointed to the people behind him. "Some of these men need medical attention." He began. "I'd like to surrender myself under disciplinary action." Steve said. Colonel Phillips looked behind Steve, seeing me and the other men.

"That won't be necessary." Phillips responded. "Yessir." Steve answered, watching Agent Carter walk up to him. "You're late." she stated shortly. He pulled out the broken transponder from his jacket and smiled. "Couldn't call me ride."

Peggy peered around Steve and saw me. "Who's she?" She asked. I was huddled into Bucky, his arm around me. I had my eyes close and my head against his chest. I had a pounding headache. I was severely dehydrated and all the loud noise didn't help.

Steve looked at me then back to Peggy. "Y/N L/N." He answered. "A civilian. She was captured the same time as Sergeant Barnes." Steve added. "Hey! Let's hear it for Captain America!" Bucky yelled. Everyone began to cheer. I opened my eyes as I felt Bucky take his arm away from me. I then looked at Steve and smiled, giving him an applause.

Steve turned to Bucky and gave him a look as if he was going to hit him but Bucky gave him a smirk and shrug, along with an applaud. Peggy watched everyone before walking up to me. I watched her as I bit my lip, waiting for her to say something.

"Ms. L/N. Come with me.. we're going to get you cleaned up." she said, looking at Bucky as if asking for permission. He looked down at me and gently pushed my back, giving me a nod. I looked up at him before following Peggy. "I don't understand.." I said. "Understand what?"

I walked next to her and thought for a moment. "Why you're wanting to help me."

"Because you were the only civilian to go through that. That was the 107th infantry. You know, we could probably use you. I could talk to Colonel Phillips, if you're up to it." Peggy suggested. "Then when we get back to New York, you can go back to living a normal civilian life."

I shrugged. "I'll think about it.. anyways.. why are we getting me cleaned up?" I asked. "Well, we're probably celebrating all day. You don't look too injured. I um.. still don't know your name.." I said. She gave me a soft smile in response. "Peggy Carter." She responded. "You can just call me Peggy."

I spent the rest of the day with her. We had gotten to know each other throughout the the day. "I'll just let you borrow my clothes for now." Peggy stated. I shook my head. "No, it's okay." I replied. She gave me a smile. "Oh come on, Sergeant Barnes will be there." Peggy giggled.

I rolled my eyes, giving her a small smile. "Are you two a thing?" She asked. I shook my head once more. At this point we might as well be and i wish we were. Peggy gently nudged me. "We're just close.." I responded.

"Hm. Well, anyways, get ready. We're gonna leave in a little bit."

She handed me a couple of outfits to choose from. One dress was a tight fighting, silver dress, but I had turned it down. It wasn't really.. me. I saw the second outfit and agreed to it. It was a navy blue skirt that went to just below my knees, a light blue blouse, and the heels she gave me, we black.

I walked into another room and changed. When I came out, it defined every feature I had. Peggy walked up to me, helping me fix my hair. "Thank you.." I whispered. Peggy smiled and started walking. "Okay, come on." I silently followed.

We had arrived to a bar and when we entered, the men that were singing, had stopped, staring at the two of us. We walked into the next room through a large doorway. "Captain." Peggy said calmly to a man that was sitting at the barcounter next to his friend.

"Agent Carter." Steve responded. I saw the man next to him turn around and smile. "Bucky.." I muttered. The two stood up and looked over at the group of howling commandos began to sing again. "I see your top squad is prepping or duty." Peggy said.

Steve pursed his lips before deciding to sa something. "You don't like music?" he asked. "I do, actually."

I stood in front of Bucky and moved closer to nudge him. "You look nice.." he smiled. I giggled. "Thank you.." I replied. "See, I told you everything was going to be okay." He retorted. I rolled my eyes and shook my head as I looked back at Peggy. "Oh.. um.. Peggy?" I asked. Bucky, Steve, and Peggy had turned their attention to me.

"I'll help out.. but you must promise me that I can have a normal life again afterwards."

Peggy nodded. "I don't know how much I can promise you that, but I'll try.."