REAL VIRTUALITY

It is snowing. And I am outside, trying to find my way back home. The precious polythene bag is still in my tight grip. The bag contained one of the first copies of the "Labyrinth of Silence", a game that claims itself as the toughest game of the 22nd century.

"Parents away on a week-long vacation; exams too far to be worried about." I thought, "La Dolce Vita."

As I opened the front door, I was greeted with the warmth of the thermostat. Though as empty as barren land, I felt an air of excitement all around the house, as if, welcoming me and urging me to start the game. But I knew I was in dire need of a warm bath. So, I went to my room, turned on my computer, and put the game to install. Then I went to the bathroom and shed my clothes and put them in the laundry bin. I turned off the taps. The tub was steaming. I first sat down and then slowly laid myself in the tub. As I slowly drowned myself up to the neck, I closed my eyes. Wild thoughts suddenly racing through my mind. I was about to slip away when the phone rang. The suddenness of it almost drowned me. I got up and out. I wiped the dripping water and wrapped the towel around me when I realized that there was a need. So, I left the towel on the stand. The phone kept ringing the entire time.

"Hello?" I answered the phone.

"Hi, Chris. How are you doing my son?" told my mom on the other side.

"Hi, mom. I'm ok. Is everything alright?" genuine concern in my voice.

"No, we're fine. I called to tell that; we might be late to come home."

"Later than a week?" I was confused and hopeful.

"Maybe. The storm is picking up. And even if we start now, we'll be stuck in the middle of nowhere."

"How long?"

"A week more, maybe." I was jumping with joy.

"That will do." told my dad, "And Chris, uh, the storm's supposed to head towards your way. It isn't too serious, but be careful."

"Okay, dad."

"Okay then. Bye." they both said.

"Bye, love you." I hung up.

I returned to the bath and finished the generic bathing formalities. After drying up I went to my room and checked the progress on the game. To my absolute surprise, the game was installed. So, after I put all the other things in their places, I put on the XRS bodysuit and clicked 'port to VR' in the game menu. Instantly my PC became much more audible as it revved up for the VR. I looked at the four cameras planted in the four corners of my room to check if they were in the correct orientation. Then I put on the VR headset. The game was already loaded up.

"The developer was right, "I said to no one, "the game feels great in VR"

What I saw first was a pitch black. But as my eyes slowly I could see the start of the labyrinth. The very gate was horrifying. The atmosphere beggars description. Totally silent. The only sounds were of my footsteps that seemed to echo infinitely. I could hear very faint distant sounds like that of my footsteps that reminded me that this game was indeed a VRMMO.

Suddenly, a terrifying and shrill voice whispered to my left ear," Thou amongst thee shall cross this labyrinth, thither awaits accolades and pleasure on the other side. And thou who shall not, be doomed betwixt these bulwarks."

Though that was a computerized voice, it was enough to make me break a sweat.

I slowly approached the horrifying wrought-iron gates and they opened automatically with an ear-piercing shriek.

"Give the sound designer an award." I said.

I walked ahead, planting my feet with the bare minimum force so as to not wake any other-worldly monstrosity. I felt around, nothing but finely placed brick-walls, twists, and turns. My vision was of not much use as it was quite dark. But all those years of gaming led me through these walls and helped me reach the first room that seemed to have something of interest.