[𝟷𝟽] sprinkled disasters

Hero

Running in the field, kicking ball and game strategies has been such a distraction for me. Aside from the fact that my own mother will fly thousands of miles to visit me here, just gives me enough jitters. I haven't been in London for almost 5 years. Enough time to think and even more enough time not wanting to go back.

At first, I found out my parents are never married and now she's engaged to someone else. I was so angry at the fact they chose not to tell me. Of course, both of my siblings knew. But not me. Not little Beauregard.

"No, because you get too emotional." My mother's voice rings in my head, drilled into my brain like a tattoo.

I'm the middle child but I had no fucking clue. I was just somone weak who can't stand up on his own for them. If they can keep things like this from, what other things I don't know anything about? Phoebe has nothing but been attentive and caring the time I was but she insisted to me about going to college in London and I don't think I will ever do that. Even though I said yes to Stephen, I meant the other way around. America has been a safe place for me and I don't see myself leaving here anytime soon.

The cheerleaders aren't here today so we have the field to ourselves. Thankful that I don't have to deal with Josephine after the almost heart to heart talk we had in the tree house. I almost slipped and tell her what's going through my mind, that Knox is not good for her and she deserved so much more. I wanted to tell her so bad but odds are she won't ever believe me.

Speaking of the devil, he walked in late looking red-faced and sweaty. Being the team captain, I need to teach them discipline and he's actually testing my patience right now. He's been late to more practices than I can count and I let it pass by. As team captain, it's my responsibility to ensure my teammates capacity are at full once we hit the field on game day.

"Where have you been?" I ask calmly, not wanting to catch him off guard.

We've been doing a lot of night practices and meetings before the actual game and talk about strategies. Game day is tomorrow. And Knox's just being a pain in the ass. Not just to me but for the whole team. We're never winning if we don't compromise and understand each other. As much as I hate to admit it, Knox is a gifted player. But then coach told me that no matter how gifted you are, if you don't practice and train your mind, you will still end up a shitty player.

He ignored me walked to the bleachers to put down his duffel bag and I trailed behind him. He looks like someone who's been at a party until 5 am. His hair is mess, his whole body reeking of alcohol.

"We've been practicing for hours and you just walk in here like you own the goddamn place. I'll talk to coach about pulling you off the team."

He didn't answer. Instead, he looked me up and down and scoffed at me. Even though my patience is wearing thin, I took a deep breath and speak again.

"If this is not important for you, Mr. Finley, then we'll give it someone who think it is."

I turn on my heel and walk back to the bleachers where Sam, Nile, Booker and Sean talk about strategies. Before I can take further steps towards then, Knox speaks.

"You want to know why I'm late?" he said, his voice laced with mischied. I face him and cross my arms, staring at him nonchalantly, putting the authority between us.

"Damn right, I do. I want to know why you seem to take this team for granted. If you don't want it here anymore, we can let you go."

He smirked, rubbed his thumb over his bottom lip and finally looked up. "I fucked your little sweet thing. Yeah, I finally fucked Josephine."