Mystery of Stolen Papers

On 18 March,1916, the thread of life was ablazed and it engulfed my family. I was twelve then and of course, for most of children, such type of incident would have left a very deep impact and a remorseful feeling in the heart. But I wasn't so aggrieved by it and now whenever I go anywhere, the incident doesn't flash before my eyes . Such a reaction maybe be absurd to many of you readers but as a wise man once said "No matter what the cause was or what the loss , if impact is good , then don't waste your life on thinking about it "

It was the time when our country was at war and thousands of injured garnished the dusty black lanes of London. My aunt was my only one living guardian and she was a very kind old lady . When she heard the news , at once she rushed to meet and soothe me. She was a tall dark lady with freckles a little scattered on her face . Her height was approximately six feet and good impression was imprinted on on-lookers when she pass. From her left ear , a little chaff is skin was burned and her eyes were yellowish pale. She was one of the rich heiress of London at that time and her name Mrs Rebecca Solenia was known by all in her city.

She asked me "William! Are you all right? Oh ! Indeed you are not. Poor child. You don't worry. You don't need to . I have carriage waiting in there and you can live with us now."

"Us" I exclaimed. As far as I knew my aunt lived with my uncle long time ago in a rich state of Sussex and since after his death, she was living with ger trustful housekeeper and cook in Stagon road.

"Oh! My nephew has come to stay with me these holidays and I think you will be glad to meet your distant but cousin." She told me as we walked towards carriage. The coachman whipped the horse and we proceeded to my aunt's house. The rain had poured down on the roads making it muddy and sticky. The horses galloped some times so violently when any stone protruding out of ground came, that it was wonder I managed to cling to my seat .

I was leaning out of window wondering what to do now. I had no friend there and it will be very miserable to live alone but then there was my cousin. I didn't know about him yet. What would he be like? Violent or short tempered or patient or docile or funny .

My thoughts came to halt with halting of horses and we stepped out of carriage . As I glanced at mansion of my aunt, I could see light in one of the room probably my distant cousin. The night was pitch dark and we were rushing towards the door as rain was pouring again.

"Now you go upstairs dear and sleep to your health." She said and kissed me goodnight.

However, I had no intention of going in my room and sleep like a mere horse. I knocked on the door of my cousin and a voice full of pride but pleasure answered "Come in"

I saw a guy of same age with blonde hair and hat on his head on which gleamed three gold letters "PSD" . His face was very pasty and a fair eyes with intense blue eyes and curved lips gazed at me intently. He wore a dark black shirt with blue coat and black green trouser. His boots were lying besides the bed. In his hands , I saw a book of Sherlock Holmes. He looked at me glancing over the book.

"Yes!I am quite interested in Sherlock Holmes and his invaluable wit. I know that I can never match him but I am sure if a chance comes, I would certainly be more efficient than police force in London."

"Indeed I chuckled if you got a chance and prove yourself wrong and victim of infatuation with mystery books."

"I see! You have arrived from carriage and clearly something has happened today which shook you completely . Something to do with fire. Ah ! You attempted to go in and save your parents but the firemen pulled you back and then my aunt saw you crying and offered her hanky to you which you recieved kindly ." He stated.

I was astonished to say anything at all . It seems all the minds of detective which I knew were embedded in him. Like a fool standing there , I was quite embarrassed and asked " I suppose you wouldn't care to tell me how did you know all that ?"