1 - idiot

She stared at the board before her, clueless as to what it was trying to say. She could read the words, sure, but it didn't make any sense to her.

The crew behind the board were smiling animatedly, gesturing for her to stretch the segment, but she was transfixed on what she saw on the board.

She kept smiling and making cute faces, adlibing and trying as much to stretch the segment. The cameras were still rolling, the idiot board still flashing the same words which she dare not say on live tv.

She waited for their director to call 'cut' and that they're going into commercial. But the lights were still on, and the production staff continued gesturing for her to stretch.

What the fuck do they want me to do?! Read this aloud?!

"We seem to be having some technical difficulty..."

Just read the idiot board!

She heard their director call out, and from the side of her eye she saw him walking towards her, a bouquet of carnations on one hand and their dog Chico on the other.

The production staff was cheering, making her more confused and anxious at the same time. She tried to push the thought away, but she now knew what was about to happen.

The director was in front of her, smiling, handing her the bouquet. Chico was already licking her hand.

"Just read it," he said.

"We're still live," she said.

"I know. I want everyone to know, and hear, and see. And Chico is very excited," he said.

She was breathing heavily as he held her hand. She turned towards the camera and read out loud.

"Dee, I want to make you happy for the rest of our lives, and I want the rest of our lives to start now. Will you marry me?"

The crew fell silent, waiting for what will happen next. She didn't notice that Ray, her boyfriend and director of the show, was already on his knees, ring in hand, grinning at her. She laughed, and with tears running down her cheeks, she answered.

"Yes, of course, yes!"

The studio exploded with cheers and applause. He slipped the ring on her finger and swooped in for a kiss. As they broke off, foreheads still touching, he called out.

Cut for commercial!

***

september 1.