Nine| Seeing Pizzas... oh my

"Death pays all debts."
—William Shakespeare

Shakespeare and I have a touchy relationship... he doesn't know I exist, and I wish I didn't know he exists. Ugh!

Great... This was Great.

How the hell was I going to explain to 35 people that I can't die. It was merely impossible to explain it to Steve; so imagine a bunch of awkward teens.

I'm sure I broke my neck? I don't know? I can't tell when I'm unconscious. If only I fainted with my eyes open.

I felt the breeze of people running towards me. And after a while, I started to hear the panicked voices.

I did my usual count from 10, then opened my eyes.

The bright lights of the gym burned my eyes, but the view was soon replaced with a bunch of concerned faces. From what I could make out, they weren't focusing on my face—they were focusing on my lower body.

A girl from my math class screamed, making my sensitive eardrums ring.

"SOMEONE CALL 911!" Another student screamed.

"Everyone calm down!" I recognized Mr. Zip's voice.

I blinked a few times and tried to move my legs. I could flick my right with ease, but my left leg was a whole other story. It felt hollow... empty like it wasn't there. I tried to get up on my arm to see, but someone held me down.

"Don't move Evelyn!" I've never seen Felix so petrified before.

"Why?" I finally pushed past his arms and glanced at my legs. My eyes bulged as I realized why people were staring and freaking out.

My left leg was bent—but not the right way.

Holding in my scream, I shut my eyes and counted backward from ten again.

10

People were talking pictures and freaking out.

9

8

7

Felix and Darren were telling me it was ok, but their voices passed through my ears. Darren was especially freaking out because this the second time he's seen me hurt.

6

5

4

Mrs. Zip was calling the ambulance while other teachers from neighbouring classrooms rushed to the gym.

3

2

1

I opened my eyes, expecting my leg to start healing, but it didn't.

It's been over 15 seconds.

I shut my eyes again, this time blocking out the commotion unfolding.

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Once again the light hit my eyes, but the mega realization hit my stomach.

I wasn't healing.

"W-no!!!" I freaked and thrashed but Felix held me down.

"It's ok Evelyn!" He hushed. "Stay with us Evelyn, It's ok."

"It's not ok!!!!" I pushed his arms away and got up to grab at my leg. This wasn't happening, was it? This must have been a dream... a bad dream that I wasn't waking up from. Why wasn't I healing????