Belle

I watch as Lizzy leaves, obviously distressed. She now has to take over all of Mother's duties. She wasn't ready, wasn't expecting to be queen. Mother's death came as a shock to all of us. It was so sudden and so cruel. And I can't even speak of it.

I, too, stand, suddenly overwhelmed with the cruelty of it all. My beloved mother is dead. The only one in this whole country that understood me is dead. My sisters are beside themselves. Lizette has the weight of the world on her shoulders. Father is slowly crumbling. And I am cursed. A cursed girl.

I slowly make my way out of the dining hall. I can hear my other sisters following suite. I head down the corridors of the palace to my room, where I shut the door. My lady's maid, Holly, appears from her adjourning room.

"Your Highness," she curtsies. "Are you in need of assistance?"

I shake my head. Holly smiles and backs into her room. I hear her lock the door, as I have always instructed. I have never wished for her to sneak out at night. Not that she would, but, as a princess of Elaria, I must keep certain secrets safe. Such as my curse.

I let out a sigh. My curse. I know I share it with all eleven of my sisters, but it seems to be that I am most destined to suffer. I cannot dance. I never have been able. My skills are lacking in that area, an area where my dear sisters are quite talented in. Especially Lizzy.

I sink into my feather-soft bed and flop back onto the deep blue silk covers. Sometimes I wonder why I even exist. I possess no real beauty like my sisters. I cannot dance, draw, sing, or play music. The most I can do is remember things extraordinarily well. Or so I've been told.

I close my eyes in disgust. I am so worthless sometimes.

************************************

Sometime around midnight, my eyes snap open, as if I have been slapped, hard, across my face. I try closing my eyes, but some unseen force drags me out of bed, and hauls me across my room to my door. I fling it open and enter the hallway. I try to stop myself, but I cannot. And then I remember.

The curse. I cannot stop myself because of the stupid curse. And I am heading to my doom. I notice my sisters all leaving their chambers and joining me, all silent, even tiny, sweet Christina. I am the first to speak.

"Where are we going?" I ask softly. I cannot speak above a whisper.

"I know not," Hadley replies, her voice as soft and quiet as mine.

We make our way quietly to a small, unused room I didn't even know existed. It is dusty, and old. The paintings are hung crookedly, and the rugs are worn clear through to the stone flooring underneath in some places.

"Did anyone know this room existed?" Sarah asks.

"No, not at all." Isadora answers.

"Does anyone know what we should do?" I ask.

In an answer, a large golden door appears in the back of the small room.

"I suppose we are going through that door." Genevieve says matter-of-factly.

Lizzy takes a deep breath and strides to the door, wrenching it open. Bright, golden light floods the room, coming from the door.

"Come," she says quietly.

She enters the doorway and disappears into the light. My sisters follow one by one, until I am the only princess left. I take a deep breath and step into the doorway.