chapter two

CAMPUS WAS BEAUTIFUL. IT reminded Aspen of an old, regal college, with vines snaking up the orange bricks and the lush greenery hugging it's edges. Flowers littered the sides of buildings and window ledges, while colorful trees lined the sidewalks. It felt like the school had been here a long time, that it was rooted in the lands history. Aspen found it odd thinking that, considering she had never known Magnolia Academy academy existed. All she really knew about the school was that her uncle ran it, and her parents went to it. The biggest surprise was that it was as close as it was to her home town and she hadn't heard of any of her friends going to it.

Placed equidistant along the sidewalk were benches, where Aspen and Natalia decided to sit and enjoy the slowly setting sun. A few flowers fluttered down from the trees above them and into their hair.

Natalia laughed, a smile lighting her features. The scene looked like a photo shoot, with the petals at the props and Natalia the model. Her smooth, olive, freckle splattered skin was enviable, as were her petite nose and the adorable left dimple that shone when she smiled. Aspen didn't think poorly of her own appearance, but Natalia took natural beauty to a whole other level. She flipped her long, wispy black hair over her shoulder, shaking the petals off.

"They're Magnolia flowers," She commented, looking up at the tree.

"How fitting," Aspen deadpanned. Of course Uncle Cedric would plant magnolia trees on the campus of Magnolia Academy. He always did have an affinity for puns.

Natalia pulled out her phone to check the time.

"It's getting late," She noted. "I heard dinner starts at six, so we should get to the dining hall soon."

"Alright," Aspen replied.

The two followed the other chattering students to a large hall located across from the dorms. Like everything else at Magnolia, the hall was huge; with a number of medium sized tables planted across the grand floor.

Across the room from the doorway, a large, stained-glass window accentuated the boring beige wall. It depicted a woman in the profile view, with long, flowing blonde hair and deep golden eyes. Magnolia flowers were scattered around her, with tree branches poking through her hair and petals littering her form. It was gorgeous—elegantly crafted with saturated colors that shone a rainbow light across the hall when the sun hit it just right.

Aspen and Natalia couldn't help but gape. Shaking it off, they sat down near the doors while everyone else settled in. Perched on one of the walls was a balcony that overlooked the entire hall. Adults, who Aspen assumed were their teachers, began to shuffle into their places around the table. They began to whisper to each other with annoyed expressions, eyeing the large doors each time they opened.

Aspen looked at her watch. Dinner was now over five minutes late. She could see the food bar that stretched along the walls of the room. Though all the plates were covered, the alluring smell of food wafted through the air, and Aspen could tell it was beginning to get hard to resist for some. For a moment, she wondered what they were waiting for, but after looking among the adults, she realized there was one person missing: the dean.

She felt an almost second-hand embarrassment. He was her uncle, after all.

Finally, after everyone was seated and the room began to quiet down, the big doors of the hall burst open with grandeur. In strode Cedric Reyes, walking confidently as if he wasn't late. As he walked past Aspen, he gave her a little smile, to which she awkwardly returned out of politeness. When he reached the stained glass window, he stood proudly in front of it, the back lighting illuminating his frame and knowing dark eyes.

"Hello everybody, and welcome to Magnolia Academy!" His booming voice projected across the entire hall, the acoustics of the building amplifying the sound even more. "I know you're all eager to eat, but I'd first like to make some announcements."