chapter three

"DO YOU THINK THE moon actually turns blue, or is it just a second full moon of the month?" Aspen thanked her Snapple addiction for another useless fact that somehow fit into a conversation.

"I'm not sure, but I hope they make it appear blue! Like a projection, or a bright light!" Natalia replied, already imagining a scene.

"Me too! That'd be so cool!" Aspen agreed, her mind drifting to something similar...

The dining hall was completely cleared of tables and the buffet bar, spotlessly clean, with waxed floors you could see your reflection in. Everyone was dancing, glittering in the combined light from the dimmed chandeliers that dangled from the high ceilings, and the blue-overlaid, rainbow-hued moonlight streaming in from the aesthetically stunning stained glass window. Music hummed in the background while couples in beautifully flowing dresses and clean cut suits drifted across the dance floor, smiling with eyes bright with happiness.

Aspen's fantasy popped upon bumping into someone. She blinked a few times. In front of her stood as equally bewildered face. It surprised Aspen to see a boy as short as she was. He had a delicate, effeminate face with round, clear grey eyes. His thin eyebrows shot up with surprise.

"Sorry!" He exclaimed, voice small and squeaky.

Natalia noticed the encounter, looking at the two curiously, waiting for Aspen to finish before walking through the doors of the dining hall.

"You're alright," Aspen smiled. "The first day is always the worst."

The boy in front of her laughed sheepishly, hand ruffling the back of his head where his chestnut fluff of hair had grown a bit longer than he liked. He opened his mouth to say something, when suddenly his shoulders jumped up, and his eyes widened with realization.

"Oh no, I forgot my bag!" He exclaimed.

Aspen barely got a goodbye in before he took off towards the boys dorm.

"What was that about?" Natalia asked, approaching Aspen with a tilt of her head.

"I'm... not sure," She replied, staring in the direction that the boy ran in.

They entered the dining hall. Aspen couldn't help but notice people staring at them. Natural self-consciousness kicked in, but she quickly realized it wasn't her everyone was staring at, it was Natalia. The girl herself was oblivious to this. It seemed silly, but Aspen assumed everyone was already thinking about dates to the Ball. Even though she wasn't interested in girls, she too could see the appeal of Natalia Solano.

The two of them ate breakfast and discussed the rest of their schedules. The only class they had together was homeroom, which was barely a class at all. It made her anxious again; the only person she had met and befriended didn't share any of her classes, just as she had feared. Not to mention those classes were longer and harder than those of her old school.

Their homeroom was empty when they walked in. It had a long table running horizontally across it, with five chairs placed evenly apart from each other. A teachers desk in front of a large white board was the only thing that said "classroom" in the room. The rest of it was minimally decorated, no inspirational posters or anything to indicate what subject this teacher taught after their thirty-minute homeroom. In fact, the room reminded Aspen of an organized storage closet.

"This feels a little weird," Natalia mumbled.

Aspen agreed, sitting down in a chair near the end of the table. Natalia took the spot to the left of her, leaving the edge seat to the right of her empty. Not even five minutes later, voices could be heard from outside, then the door opened.