One

In The Name Of God, The Beneficent, The Merciful.

*****

Alhaji Ahidjo Garba, was born to an affluent Fulani family in then Gongola state of Northeast Nigeria, He did his elementary, and secondary school in comfort and with full support of his family. He was among the few lucky youths that were opportuned to study abroad as of those days. He studied medicine at Oxford University, London. That's where he met the love of his life, Sarah Jane Louis . She was a beautiful French lady who captured young Ahidjo Garba's wild heart. He managed to woo her and in their last year at college, he introduced her to his family. Being the typical northern Nigerian family they were, they did not accept her, for she was not Fulani, nor was she a Muslim . But their love was too strong that despite his family's dejection. Ahidjo Garba and Sarah Jane got married and stayed at Sarah's homeland  France, for some time. Along the way, he was able to convince his father, Mallam Garba that Marrying Sarah is the best thing that has happened to him. And thus,  Mallam Garba accepted the forbidden bond,  as they say. So the newly married couple made their way back to Nigeria.

It wasn't common for the young lads in Gongola to bring back fair skinned ladies after their stay abroad. So young Sarah  Jane faced so many difficulties from her husband's family. Many fingers were pointed at her. Some called her a prostitute while some said that she was sent by their enemies to spy on them. The only person that accepted her wholeheartedly was Ahidjo's younger sister, Sa'adatu.

Sa'adatu was a young girl of 15 at that time and she was among the first set of young ladies that went to school in Gongola. So racism from her, was out of the question. She helped Sarah fit into the culture of the Gongolan people.

Ahidjo managed to secure a job in the government hospital that was available in their province. He provided a comfortable life for his wife, who was yet to conceive.

Despite the pressure from Ahidjo's family, he still loved his dear Sarah like his life depended on it. He was even talked into the idea of Marrying another woman to bear him offsprings. He did not relent on his love for Sarah.

Nine years into their marriage, Sarah got pregnant. And the joy they felt had no bounds. Five months along the pregnancy,  due to some hardwork that was forced on Sarah by her mother in law, Sarah had a miscarriage.

The news came so shockingly for Ahidjo, who had now become a consultant medical doctor in Yola, capital city of Adamawa State, he was forced to live at Yola during the week,  then he'd visit Sarah and his family during weekends. The doctors that treated her, advised them not to conceive again anytime soon. That led to another series of pain and agony for poor Sarah in the family. A year passed by and Sarah still endured all the hardship that cane with her 'supposed' barrenness.

During the 11th year of their marriage, Sa'adatu got married to the principal of the only Government Girls school in Gongola. She had to leave the Mallam Garba's household and move into her husband's home. It was a moment Both  she and Sarah,  dreaded but reality had to be faced. So, Sa'adatu left Sarah in the wicked hands of the other women of Mallam Garba's house. They never liked her after all.

Ahidjo had opened his own private health care facility in Yola, and he and his wife relocated to Yola, where he rented a two bedroom flat for them.

Sarah engaged in some handiworks like making woolen sweaters and hats for little children and baking cupcakes for sale. Along the way, Sarah got pregnant again, and it was a bumpy ride for them,  during the pregnancy Ahidjo took great care of Sarah.

On a fateful night, along the last month of the third trimester of the pregnancy. Ahidjo was at work when Sarah started experiencing the pains of Child labour. She managed to use the landline phone they had in the house to call the hospital. She passed out before Ahidjo could come to the house. He took her to the hospital and she was immediately taken into the operation theater. He together with some of his colleagues fought for her life. Unfortunately, they couldn't save  mother and child together, one had to go. Poor Ahidjo Garba  lost his beloved Sarah Jane Louis. But he got the glad tidings of a cute baby girl, who had sharp hazel eyes and a wift of jet black hair. The cute bundle reminded him so much of his beloved Sarah. One look at her, and he'd already promised her his love, For the rest of his life.  And he named her Fatimah Zahrah, his shooting star.