Chapter 14: Royal Secrets

The second sun had finally risen into the sky and the desert glowed in the light of dawn. Lapis, Rhodonite, Padparadscha, and the Daydream Knight were still flying on their magic carpets when an outline of buildings finally came into view on the sandy horizon.

"The city." the half genie cheered. "We
finally made it!"

"Wow." Rhodonite marvelled. "I'm haven't been in the city since my eviction."

Suddenly, Lapis saw the faces of Steven and her friends on the rooftops. The pair of flying carpets dropped down to meet the group.

"Guys! Steven!" the teenage girl cried out.

"Lapis!" her older brother cried, embracing her. "You're back!"

The other genies rushed to join in a big group hug.

"What happened?" Peridot asked. "We thought you were captured. We were worried sick about you."

"Don't worry." the hybrid girl assured her friends. "I'm okay. I had a little help getting back here."

"Hey, you're that guy from yesterday." Steven pointed out.

"This is the Daydream Knight." Lapis introduced. "Don't worry. He's a good guy."

"Rhodonite?" Pearl said.

"Pearl." the light red genie was equally surprised. "It's been so long. I haven't seen you since your servant days."

"Excuse me?" Steven queried.

"Sorry, I think I may have misheard you." Lapis said. "But, did you just call Pearl a servant?"

"Come on, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard." Amethyst jeered.

"No, she's right." Pearl calmed her bluff. "Before I became a teacher, I used to be a servant to the emperor and his son. It was me and my sisters who served White Diamond out of fear of his might and power. It was a living nightmare. But, I had secret dreams of leaving my servant life behind and being free."

"So, how were you able to leave?" Lapis asked.

"It wasn't easy." the pale genie huffed. "I finally found the courage to escape, but the emperor found out all too quickly. In the panic of avoiding capture, I had to leave my sisters behind and they paid a terrible price for my actions. White Diamond put mind control bracelets on them and took their freewill away. I never saw them again."

"I'm sorry that happened to you." the young hybrid said sympathetically. "I know I'd feel pretty guilty if I had to abandon my brother."

"The experience wasn't all bad." Pearl gave a bittersweet smile. "I was able to have a free life. I made friends with Garnet and Bismuth, became a teacher, and I even got to meet you."

Just then, a loud growling noise startled the group. What sounded like a gnarling monster was actually the young hybrid's stomach rumbling.

"Wow." Spinel commented. "You sound really hungry."

"That's a bit of an understatement." Lapis chuckled. "Now if you'll excuse me, I've had an eventful morning and all without breakfast. So, I'm going to take care of that."

She went into the kitchen to fix herself something to eat. Literally within seconds, the young girl saw Steven, the Daydream Knight, and all the younger genies come filing in.

"Why are you guys in the kitchen?" she asked.

"The older genies just asked us to go into another room." Spinel simply explained. "They said something about having a private conversation."