Chapter 5

Anger seethed out through the core of my patience as I listened to her mother’s ranting. She keeps on explaining while her daughter beside me just bowed her head and seem to fascinate herself on her own hands. I closed my fist tightly..

Rafael: You-cannot-accept-her-because-she-is-crazy?

Victoria: Yes. Our lawyer must have forgotten on paying her hospital bills. Please do return her to them. Mas makakabuti kung—

Rafael: Mas makakabuti??

Victoria: Mas makakabuti para sa aming lahat kung mananatili syang isang lihim.

Rafael: With all due respect, ma’am, but WHY THE FUCK IS THAT??

            Her mother flinched at the angry voice I used. Agad akong napatingin sa katabi ko and my anger melted away as her shoulders keep on moving as if controlling herself from laughing out loud.

Victoria: She can’t ruin my family’s reputation. Especially now na tatakbong governor ang papa nya. Hindi pwedeng mabahiran ang pangalan nya.

Rafael: So you’ll disown your OWN daughter para lang sa pangalan nyo.

Victoria: we have to. Matagal na tong pangarap ng papa nya. And I’m sure, kung nasa tamang pag-iisip lang sya, she’ll understand.

            I felt a tugged on my sleeves and saw Remi finally looked at me..other than her hands. She’s smiling but her eyes’ telling me otherwise…her tears threatening to fall.

Remi: Tara na. (bowed her head) Naiintindihan ko po, mama.

Rafael: well I can’t—

Remi: Let’s go. Baka dumating na si papa. Ayoko na sila pahirapan.

Rafael: but—

Remi: O sige, ako na lang mag-isa ang babalik don.

            Tumayo na sya at mabilis na lumabas ng bahay. I shook my head in disbelief and followed her out. I hold her wrist and stopped her from walking. I turned her to me to talk but when I saw her eyes full of sadness and tears.. My heart clenched as she looked at me helplessly. She wiped her tears away.

Remi: san ako ngayon uuwi? Eh pinalayas na ako ng mangkukulam na doktor? Tapos…tapos…

            I tugged her to me letting her sob on my chest. Badtrip. I really do not like seeing her like this, so vulnerable and sad, like child lost in a mall, her family forgetting she existed.

 Rafael: Tara na. We’ll think about that later.

 Remi: Paano? Saan ako ngayon pupunta?

Rafael: Di kumaen muna tayo. I believe hindi ka pa kumakaen?

Remi: Icecream na lang.

Rafael: (his eyes lit in amusement) Ice cream? Malakas ang ulan ah.. ayaw mo ba ng kape?

Remi: Ice cream ang gusto ko. Yung melon o watermelon flavor.

Rafael: Opo, ma’am.

            Remi smiled at me happily, excited about her ice cream. Isang oras din kaming nagpa-ikot-ikot sa ilalim ng malakas na ulan bago nakakita ng tindahan ng icecream at nakabili ng watermelon flavored ice cream. She held on to my sleeves excitedly habang hinihintay na ibigay sa kanya ang icecream. And when she got it parang wala na itong kasama at umupo sa isang sulok. I watched her, a grin tugging on my lips. Nakakagaan talaga ng pakiramdam kapag nakikita ko ang ngiti nya. I would like to help her pero paano? And then an idea formed in my head. Though I am not sure kung dapat ko nga tong gawin but right now, I just can’t let her live alone.