Chapter 75

The next three days dragged in an endless array of anxiety-laced seconds, minutes, and hours for me. Zac had asked me to give him space. I knew he probably preferred to be left alone. But I couldn't help but obsess over those faint lines of tally mark scars that ran ever so discreetly along the tats on his forearms.

Like a madwoman, I called and texted multiple times each day. To check on him. To let the idiot know I was beside myself with worry. I kept thinking about the toll that our recent revelations regarding his dad's true nature might take on his mental and emotional state.

Hey, baby. Thinking of you.

Was Zac hurting himself again?

Miss you.

When he stopped coming to class, I contacted my dad to inquire if his surveillance team had picked up any worrisome activity. I wanted to make sure that my boyfriend was alive since he wasn't responding to any of my messages. My dad assured me that Zac seemed to be okay.

It took every shred of willpower to stop myself from driving over to Zac's studio. There was nothing more I wanted than to kick down his door and see with my own damn eyes that my man was really okay. At present, my love for Zac burned brighter than ever, but his feelings for me felt decidedly dimmed. Faded. Nonexistent. It unnerved me. I didn't dare say or text the L-word to him anymore. I held back out of self-preservation. I was afraid that maybe he no longer felt the same way about me.

Everything okay? Please talk to me, Zac. I'm really worried about you.

He didn't respond until the third day.

dont worry im good

At least, he was alive. I tried to focus on my schoolwork. It helped to have both Nat and Amari back in my life. I updated them as much as I could—without compromising my dad's investigation, of course—on my life and the sorry state of my relationship with Zac.

The next morning, I was jolted awake by the sound of my ringtone. Zac was calling me.

I nearly toppled out of bed as I lunged for my phone. "Hello?"

"Hey..."

His voice sounded raspy and broken from the other end. Like he had been crying or something. My heart ached for him.

"Damn. It's so nice to hear your voice, babygirl."

Babygirl.

I relaxed slightly. "What's up, baby?"

In low, hesitant tones, he asked, "Can I... come over and take you to school today?"

His words sounded like music to my ears. My heart sang. "Yes, of course! I've missed you so much these past few days. You have no fucking idea."

"I know, baby. Me, too. I'm so sorry for ghosting you. I've just been feeling really... down."

Softly, I reassured him, "It's okay, baby. I understand."

"I've missed you like crazy, too. Can't wait to see you."

Eagerly, I asked, "Are you heading over right now?"

"Yep. I plan to leave my place in about five minutes. See you soon."

As we hung up, it felt like a ten ton load had been lifted from my chest.

After almost an hour, though, Zac still hadn't arrived at my house. I texted him.

Are you almost here, baby?

He messaged back.

sorry couldnt find my keys!!! almost there

At this rate, we were going to be late for first hour, but I didn't mind. I'd wait for a lifetime for this beautiful boy of mine.