THE KELLY GANG

Ned Kelly is an Australian legend. He epitomised many qualities that ordinary Australians admire. He was a larrikin, loyal to his family and ready to sacrifice himself for his mates. An underdog, he represented the struggling classes and thumbed his nose at the establishment. He was inventive, he was fearless and charismatic. He was also an Australian bushranger, outlaw, gang leader and convicted of police murder. One of the last bushrangers, and by far the most famous, he is best known for wearing a suit of bulletproof armour during his final shootout with the police. Edward Ned Kelly was Australia's most famous bushranger; regarded by many as a hero who fought "for the rights of the battler." Whether Ned Kelly was a hero, however, has been debated throughout Australia's history. Evidence shows that Ned was a murderous villain who terrorised towns and robbed wealthy banks. Ned Kelly was a villain; an outlaw and thief who is wrongly immortalised as an Australian hero. It has been said that the formation of the Kelly Gang was the result of police harassment. Ned Kelly was the leader of a lawbreaking group of criminals named the 'Kelly Gang;' a group established in 1876 that included Ned, his brother Dan, and their two friends Steve Hart and Joe Byrne. Ned was a significant figure in this gang. The culminating events of Ned Kelly's life led to the gruesome murder at Stringybark Creek, when Ned knowingly murdered three innocent policemen. This incident occurred in October 1880 when a group of policemen were searching for Ned and his brother Dan near the Wombat Ranges. This small contingency of officers included Sergeant Kennedy and Constables McIntyre, Lonigan and Scalon. While searching for Dan and Ned, the officers split into two groups to find the fugitives. Even though the officers were disguised as prospectors, Dan and Ned recognised them immediately and began shooting at them. During the battle, three of the officers died; only McIntyre managed to escape and return to testify against Ned. Although some historians believe that the murder of these officers at Stringybark Creek was an accident, evidence shows that Ned deliberately shot at these innocent men. Just before leaving the crime scene, Ned stole Sergeant Kennedy's gold watch and later stated, "What's the use of a watch to a dead man?" These evil, soulless words were truly spoken by a cruel and deplorable villain. Even though many consider Ned Kelly to be a significant national representative of Australian culture and heroism, the evil deeds that Ned Kelly committed during his life were not forgotten on the 27th of June 1880. His criminal record was mostly overshadowed by his brave, courageous and loyal traits that won him the love of his people. I mean if he wasn't stealing chickens he was "borrowing" horses. This quote tells everyone that the kelly gang were villans so if you researth the kelly gang more you will find that they murdered people, stole from banks and did other things as well.