Ralof - Love at First Dragon

The soldier clad in a blue cuirass marched down the path. His heart was heavy after seeing the destruction, the fire. He did not know where his friends were. In fact, he didn't even know if anyone besides himself, and that girl, survived at all.

He heard her take a deep, pained breath. It was odd, the way she carried herself. It was out of selflessness. She was confused and disoriented, injured and weak. But even so, she tried to make an effort to help him get out of Helgen and out of danger. He admired her for it. No matter that she almost got her head taken off, she was a fighter and was determined to keep herself and himself safe.

It was a long while before Ralof spoke.

"Thank you.... For what you did back there." He mumbled, just loud enough for her to hear him. "And I know you are in pain. Please show me where, I have some potions that might ease your suffering."

The girl just looked at him with clouded, sad eyes.

"Can the potions ease the suffering in my heart?" She whispered. Ralof took a step closer to her. They had stopped walking. She shook her head and turned away.

"Never mind. It was a silly thing to say..." Helgen had taken a toll on both Ralof and the girl it seemed. "It's my chest, I can't breathe properly. I think I broke a rib or two when that beam from the house fell on me." Ralof had instructed her to jump out the hole in the tower and into a burning house below. It was the only means of escape. She had fallen funny and was winded. While she lay on the floor for two seconds too long, a wooden beam fell on top of her. A friend, anonymous, had appeared and helped her out of the burning building.

"He saved my life. I wish I could have saved him too... But I didn't see him after that." A sob tore from her and she clutched her midsection in pain. Ralof rushed up and took her by the waist. There was a log nearby and he led her to it.

After she sat down, she cried. She cried and cried until the tears had run out. Ralof held her close, stroking her head and running his fingers through her hair. If anyone were to ask, he would be lying if he said he didn't shed a tear himself.

"You're okay. Shhhh... Don't think about them. What is done is done... Look.... We are safe now. I promise." The girl slowed her breathing and leaned into Ralof. Her head was lying on his chest. For once, she really did feel safe. "I hope you don't mind this seating arrangement..." He mumbled. She just waved it off.

"Did I ever tell you who I am, Ralof of Riverwood?" She hiccuped. Ralof shook his head and grunted in response. The vibrations from him shook her bones. "They call me Whisperer in Cyrodiil, and Lurker in The Black Marshes. I travel a lot. The secretiveness of my nature earned me those names. I guess my destination has always been Skyrim, but... So far, it hasn't been the most comforting place. It's too cold. And there are dragons." Ralof chuckled, the sound was deep and it rumbled, making goose flesh appear on her skin.

"That was the first dragon I've ever seen." His vice was sarcastic.

"You know what I mean!" She smacked his arm playfully and looked up at the blue sky. "My parents were from here. Elesa Stone-Heart, my mother, came from the great city Solitude. My father, Dornmar The Warrior, from Morthal. They were both Nords."

"Why were you in Cyrodiil and the Black Marshes?" Ralof interrupted.

"I...." Her voice cracked. "They were star crossed lovers, you could say. After I showed up, they had to keep me a secret. No one knew that I was in the picture. My father was a war criminal, my mother was a daughter of someone important. Someone named Tulimas, I think." Ralof made a noise of... Something, either surprise or disbelief. She kept speaking, however. "They sent me far away when 'Tulimas' found out about my father. He tried to kill him." The girl wrung her hands out of frustration. "I don't know what happened after that. All I had was the journal that my mother wrote in. She obviously stopped writing when they sent me away. Now, I am here. Trying to find my long lost parents. I guess." She closed her eyes and nuzzled into Ralof's side.