chapter one

the lights are, instead of what I am used to, flickering. the flame rolls around in the candle holder. a small breeze washes through the room and a distant door slam. the delicate flame falls and rises again like a Phoenix. I am suddenly distracted by the elegant voice of violins and flutes. I turn to see hundreds of feet, dancing, and colliding with each other in a graceful routine. feet are attached to tall men, all with suits and ties. the ties run down their chests like a river. some feet are not visible, they are covered with ocean deep dresses that lightly drag the bronze floor.

I take my time to truly register my surroundings. do I recognize anyone? after a minute of my blue eyes jumping from face to face. I see nothing. no one. my clothes are not suitable for my situation, black jeans, and a baggy jumper. the machine had really done it this time. I stuck out like a sore thumb.

for a moment I bathe in the light falling from the windows like curtains. I didn't want to leave just yet. this was every little girls' fantasy. and I was living it. I made a note of where I was and wondered into the crowd of dancing.

some faces where full of joy, they were dancing with the ones that they loved. but other faces where full of sorrow. this confused me. why would such a beautiful place and atmosphere like this make one sad.

I felt a tingling at my feet that rose up my body like fireworks. the machine had done it. maybe slightly late, but I was now dressed for the occasion. a yellow dress fell from my waist, capturing the sun with every step I took. I ran my hands down the fabric, smooth like clouds. my upper body was covered in yellow butterflies, one moved a little and I smiled at the power of magic. I felt like a princess. my hair was still in a ponytail, so I let it down, running my hand through it to tame it. the dark black of my hair matched the yellow of my new dress.

I felt a hand on my waist, it felt friendly, but I still turned suddenly to push the intruder away. the man stood there was probably no older than me. 24? he smiled at me and flashed pearl white teeth. I couldn't help but smile back.

"ma'am would you like a dance?" I nodded and curtsied. this was something I'd never done but I felt such control. he took my right hand and put it out in front of us like the bow of a ship and rested my hand on his waist. he began to lead me to dance. the dance came natural to me and together we flowed like the wind in the trees.

his hair, unlike the other man here was brown, wavy, almost down to his shoulders, and almost completely out of control. forest green eyes stared into mine. sharp like friendly daggers. he had a typical attire, but his tie was different to the other men's. red velvet at the top with a golden lace at the bottom. I thought it was a bold choice for what ever day in age this exactly was. the man's arms where toned and his body the same. not too bad. he was guiding me through the song with ease and I figured he'd done this plenty of times before.

I know this reality wouldn't last long as the tingling of costume change had begun to softly erupt at my feet. I looked down at the rim of my dress to see it slowly turning a burnt black, just as I saw it, I smelt it, almost like a candle burning vanilla. a soft and kind hand gripped my chin and pushed it up to the chest of the man. "head up love, it's the first thing we are taught"

I smiled at the man and I unhooked my hand from his and pulled my other from the magnet of his waist. he looked confused.

I began to trot away, not bothering to lift my dress as I ran. he was following me. and just as I had reached the spot I'd arrived at. I turned to see people chasing after me and my dancer.

"prince harry! who is she? why are you chasing her?" he rose a finger to silence them and they complied. he gave me a questioning look as I rose my hand over the candle flame. I knew it was the one as I could feel the no heat on my hand, just the breeze. the man reached out to me as I slammed my hand onto the flame. I span. still seeing his shocked face.