01 → A La Nanita Nana

San Francisco, California

San Francisco, California. December 2009

The incessant ringing of the doorbell did nothing to ease the headache of the 17-year-old girl. She rolled off the couch where she's been laying down, watching tv, and made her way to the door. She checked the peephole and groaned when she saw the young blue-eyed man. The doorbell continued to ring and she unlocked the door, pulled it open and glared at the man standing in front of her.

"What?" The man squeaked and looked down at his phone. 1:23 p.m. "Shouldn't you be in school?" He asked the girl.

"Shouldn't you be working?" She asked back.

"It's 1:23 on a Wednesday" he pointed out.

"Exactly" she nodded. They stared at each other for a couple of seconds, daring the other to say something, but with the pounding in her head, she gave up. "I had a minimum day. What's your excuse?"

"I took a sick day" he replied.

Dia eyed Joshua up and down. "You don't look sick to me" she mumbled and let him in. She closed the door behind him and made her way to the kitchen in search of food.

"Where's Jonathan?" Joshua asked.

"At the restaurant with our abuela" Dia replied and tossed a packet of fruit gummies at Joshua. He caught it in mid-air and thanked her.

"And Pablo?"

"He's with Martin and Luis. I don't know where they went" she ripped open a packet of fruit gummies. "What are you doing here?"

"I was bored" he shrugged.

"So you come here to bother me? Don't you have a brother for that?" Dia questioned.

"But why go to him when I can bother you instead?" Joshua walked over to Dia and opened his arms. "You're like my wittle baby sister!" He said in a baby voice and tried to embrace her but she wiggled from his grasp. She groaned and tried to push him off but the pounding in her head got worse and she just let herself be crushed and babied.

Joshua noticed she wasn't putting up a fight like she normally does, he looked down at the girl in his arms and frowned. "What's wrong?"

"My head hurts" she replied.

He let go of her and Dia reached back and rubbed the back of her head. She closed her eyes and slowly rolled her head.

"Your head hurts?" He asked with concern. Dia's eyes opened and saw the look on his face.

"It's fine. Nothing to worry about" she smiled small.

"It's been almost six months since the accident and your headaches are becoming more frequent" he noted.

"I'm fine" she assured. "It's not that bad. Although that ringing didn't make it better"

Joshua grimaced. "Sorry" he planted a kiss on top of Dia's head and walked out of the kitchen.