2. Cactus Juice

The heat was suffocating, every minute felt like an eternity. The group halted, unanimously and silently agreeing to a short break as their arms came up to block the wave of sand the wind had sent pelting their way.

Zuko sighed, wiping away the beads of sweat from his forehead. It was becoming increasingly hard to breathe by the second. He knew blindly following these idiots around the world was a bad idea.

If it was this excruciating for him, he didn't dare to think of how it felt for North Pole natives. Personally, he'd grown up surrounded by fire and heat and this detour was still painful.

"Why are we doing this again?" Sokka groaned from beside him. Fists clenched at his side as he tried his best to keep from falling straight onto the heaps of sand that were devouring each step he took.

"Blame Appa! He's the one that landed here for no good reason!" Toph exclaimed, nobody hated the desert more than she did. She couldn't see a single thing here and the guilt she felt from the last time hadn't faded - even if she and everyone else knew there wasn't much else she could've possibly done.

"He was exhausted! We've been flying for two days straight, he needs rest and so do we" Aang said, then went on to explain he'd go off and find them shelter for the night, and instructed them to keep walking north before flying off into the distance and leaving them panting behind him, stuck firmly on the ground.

"I'm so thirsty" Sokka complained moments later, hoping his remark would be enough to tug on his sister's heartstrings but Zuko thought such a hopeless endeavour rather pitiful.

"Sokka, no! If I keep giving you all the water we're going to run out" Katara stated firmly, shaking her head at her brother's incessant complaints.

"He can have my ration," Zuko said, offering Sokka a small smile. The smile was returned tenfold, a wide thankful grin plastered stupidly on Sokka's face.

"You'd really do that for me?" Sokka stopped, his eyes dangerously flirtatious but Zuko knew this was just how he acted. Though spirits bless him for the period in time where he hadn't quite understood Sokka and his playful nature. He'd never been closer to dying in his life and that's saying something.

Katara shook her head. Zuko was an idiot to offer up his share, this journey was about to get unbearable if Aang didn't find shelter soon. They couldn't sleep in this heat and Appa needed rest if they ever planned on getting out of here.

Zuko nodded sternly, not understanding what the big deal was. Sokka was his friend, he'd helped him understand kindness in a way only his uncle had ever done so previously. He didn't mind returning the favour once in a while.

"I'm moved prince Zuko, but I must decline," Sokka bowed, then raised himself to meet Zuko's eyes, suddenly serious, "you're gonna need it, trust me"

"Alright, but the offer still stands," Zuko tells him, his mind having not being changed in the slightest. In truth, he'd do the same for any of his friends. They'd all helped him grow in ways he'd never thought possible.

Momo chirped, jumping from Sokka's shoulder before venturing east.

"Momo, dearest momo, where is he going?" Sokka pondered out loud.

"Alright, you two stay here, Toph and I are going to go to the top of that hill to see if we can find Aang," Katara said, Zuko nodded but Sokka wasn't paying much attention. He'd already fallen to the floor with his hands covering his face from the sweltering sun.