3. Touch: part one

Sokka sighed, leaving the warmth of the campfire and the chattering surrounding it to sit beside Appa - who was down by the water with submerged, soggy paws. "It's so unfair," Sokka whispered. After getting nothing but a roar in response he decided to lie down, resting his head on crossed arms, leaning against the soft fur of his friend.

He thought of the deal they'd all made the week Zuko joined. They'd noticed straight away how uneasy he was, as though he'd be rejected and thrown out any moment, so they conducted a meeting in which they pitched ideas to help Zuko out.

Aang suggested everyone try to be as affectionate as possible without being overbearing in the hopes that Zuko would warm up to them more. Everyone agreed without much debate, everyone wanting what was best for him.

Aang gave reassuring hugs and bright smiles whenever Zuko looked down, Toph would punch his shoulder whenever he was spiralling and Katara would give small shoulder squeezes every now and again once she'd begun trusting him. Every time without fail Zuko would soften, he'd appreciate the small touches, but never when they came from Sokka.

Which was incredibly inconvenient seeing as how Sokka was most affectionate of all. He's attempted more hugs than he could remember - each one either avoided or turned down. Then there are the small touches, they're received even worse, Zuko either freezes up or leaves.

Sokka knew he shouldn't let it bother him, Zuko wasn't used to this and it was expected he may respond coldly.

Which would be perfectly reasonable to assume if not for the fact he was only so reluctant with Sokka's touch.

With a sigh, Sokka rolled over, screaming into Appa. He'd thought that maybe Zuko simply just didn't like him but that couldn't be the case at all, not when Katara had mentioned in passing her observations about the change in Zuko's behaviour around Sokka. He was always more open, more carefree, she'd said.

Therefore the mystery as to why Sokka's affection made Zuko so defensive was still unsolved.

Appa let out a bellowing roar causing Sokka to jump back instinctively. He'd prepared for a rough landing, closing his eyes tightly to brace for impact although when it came it was surprisingly soft. "Ow" Sokka opened his eyes, looking down he saw who'd cushioned his fall.

Sokka beamed at him, rolling off of him and holding out a hand, "thank you, dear friend, your sacrifice is greatly appreciated"

"Yeah yeah, that hurt" Aang huffed, taking his hand regardless, "come back to the campfire, Katara is serving food!" Aang's face lit up in pure joy before he zoomed away on an air bending ball. Sokka felt his stomach rumbling, traipsing behind Aang with anticipation.

"Stupid bending! Some of us have to walk you know!" He shouted after his friend, panting as he took his seat beside Zuko and Toph.

"You get by well enough," Zuko said, looking up at Sokka through his hair. Sokka smiled, his heart racing in his chest.

He crossed his arms smugly, leaning in closer to Zuko with a proud smirk. "I do, I do, that can only be expected from the greatest warrior in the water tribe!"

Both Zuko and Katara shook their heads in unison, only Katara did so while handing him a plate of delicious food - so she could be easily forgiven. Sokka sat, mouth open, gaping at it before piling it all into his mouth with frantic spoonfuls.