.:To watch you and protect you and yours:.

CHAPTER 2

──────

I didn't reply back. I couldn't. That text wasn't for me. He was probably asking some girl on a date, and I didn't want to embarrass him. I watched my phone from my desk, waiting for it to get another notification saying 'I'm so sorry! That was meant for someone else omg'. So I waited. and I waited. It's been around 10 minutes, I think, and I was starting to doubt that he meant someone else. Oh my goodness, I just got asked out on a date, didn't I? I don't think I liked Zak, did I? I took my time thinking about it. He did have a pretty cute face, and his hair was always really fluffy. His eyes were possibly the best part, a brown that clashed with the darkness of his hair. It was almost bright orange. His blue hoodie was always oversize, and it made him look really small. I'm not gay though, right. I didn't even know him. The more I thought of it, the more I felt my face getting hotter. Would I go out on a date with him? He's kind of funny, and his laugh is really contagious. He'd definitely be the type I want to get closer with, but I don't know for sure. I barely even knew him. Suddenly, my phone screen lit up. A wave of sadness washed over me. No, of course it wasn't for you, you muffin-head. I brought both of my hands up to the sides of my head, having a look of complete horror at what I just spent the last two minutes thinking about. Rat pawed at my leg, and that's when I realized I trained her to alert to that. Usually I was having intrusive thoughts when I did that, so it was a curious case when I was actually thinking about something like being sad that the boy who just texted me asking if I wanted to go on a date was probably really embarrassed at his mistake. I sighed deeply, lifting Lucy onto my lap. She got cozy pretty quick, and I reached for my phone. I opened the text and read it, albeit reluctantly.

'did i scare u off? lol sorry we can just be friends if u want'

It was meant for me. I felt my face getting red as I replied back.

'I thought you had accidentally sent that message to me.'

'no, that was for U. ur cute :D'

I swear, my heart was beating right out of my chest. I think Rat was having trouble deciding whether or not she was supposed to alert to that, but I didn't know how I could help it. A cute boy asked me out on a date.

'When and where are we going?'

In the end, though... I accepted.

──────

I ignored the voices from everyone around me as I walked down the busy sidewalk. It was around 9am when I left. Yesterday, when I had been asked out by some dork, we had decided on iHop for breakfast. It was a Saturday-- we didn't have any classes, though some students did. I was wearing a checkered bandana to match with Lucy, who walked quickly beside me. Other than that I was just wearing a dark trenchcoat, striped shirt, and light pants. Lucy wore a purple-stained vest, patches mimicking the vest from yesterday.  I ignored the people who cooed at her, stopping in front of the iHop. It was a long walk, and I felt my heartbeat quicken at the thought of going out with someone. I simply took out my phone and sent a picture of the restaurant-front to my date. I wrote a text right after. 'Here yet?'

I stood for a couple of minutes, feeling distressed that there was no outdoor seating. I sighed, not noticing my heart-rate speed up for different reasons. I needed to sit down. I sat down with my legs resting on the ground as I waited. My legs were starting to get ache-y, I just hope it wouldn't be enough to ruin my day. Lucy jumped into my lap instinctively, spreading her arms and legs out over my abdomen. I praised her with a pat to the head, ignoring the odd stared I got. I think most of them were just trying to figure out whether or not they wanted to distract the cute puppy (which admittedly angered me because at the moment, she was tasking), but I knew some was just questioning why someone was sitting down on the dirty pavement. It was a few more minutes before I finally got a text back. At first I had worried Zak would have just ditched me, or that someone else had texted me. Neither of those were the case, though. I opened my DM with Zak Ahmed, seeing a picture of me sitting on the ground with Rat right over me. 'im here :) wya' was what the text was. Judging from the perspective of this picture, I looked to my right. Sure enough, there was a boy dressed in a maroon jacket and blue T-shirt, with black pants to match. His dark hair actually looked half-combed, and the fact that he actually tried made me give a small smile. He smiled back at me as I picked Rat up and placed her at my side. I dusted my pants as I stood up, immediately feeling sick from standing. "Ready to go in?" The shorter boy chuckled, and I felt colour rush to my face again.