Epilogue

Epilogue

──────

The second snow of the winter fell quietly outside of my frosted window. Christmas music played from the speakers surrounding the TV, making it loud enough that you can hear it well but not too loud as to disrupt the neighborhood. I sat on a leather couch, folded my knees and leaning on my hand. I stared at the cartoon playing in front of me, quietly watching as elves danced around in stop-motion. Lucy cuddled with me, sandwiched in the space between my arm, body, and legs. I ran my finger through short, fluffy, tan fur. A little puppy squirmed beside me, rolling over and enjoying the affection he got. I felt his little teeth nubs bite at my fingers and stifled a laugh, pulling my hand away. The golden retriever next to me placed his front paws on my thigh, and I attempted to tune out the excited chatter from the rest of the participants in the room. 

It was Christmas eve, and Zak and I had chosen to throw a party with a few friends and family members. We've been living with each other ever since I graduated college 2 years ago, and have been dating for about 3 years now. It's insane thinking about how much time has passed-- Lucy's going to be retiring in 2 years, leaving me to train Milo all alone. Well, not all alone. Zak has been a huge help with taking care of a new puppy-- more than I'd like to admit. I felt really insecure about letting him do anything for the golden retriever when he was my responsibility. I let it pass, though.

Dave, Clay, and George-- respectfully known as Spifey-- spoke quietly to each other on the other side of the room, each holding a small glass of heaven-knows-what. Zak turned 21 this year and went a little trigger-crazy on the alcohol, I think.

I could recognize Vurb, Mega, and Zelkam in the kitchen with the snacks. Finn [Jude], TapL, and some other girl I didn't recognize yet completely sat on opposite ends of another couch, talking loudly with each other and laughing at the littlest things. Leaving me alone, cuddling with my two dogs. 

Zak's parents and older sister were here, chatting with my mom at the other side of the room. Occasionally they stole glances at me, but I could care less. To be truthful, I had a bit to drink, too. Not enough to make me do something incredibly stupid- and not enough to do actual harm [my mom had been worried], but enough to make everything sound a little funnier in my head. At least it was the good kind of alcohol-- the spiked eggnog, where you can just trick your brain into thinking that nothing is on fire.

It surprised me when warm hands ran through my light brown hair, causing met to jolt and look up. Zak smiled down at me with his warm brown eyes, leaning in and kissing me on the top of me head gently. I could practically smell the alcohol radiating off of his whole being. I watched as he made his way to the door leading out of our apartment, opening it, and slipping out. I frowned and scooted away from Lucy and Milo away before standing up. I didn't feel really dizzy- at least- not that I could tell, anyway. I grabbed my coat and put it over my red Christmas sweater. Even though I was wearing all that and a pair of jeans, it still felt so cold- especially outside of the apartment. I opened the door, and to my surprise, Zak wasn't very far either. "Where are you going?" I questioned, watching as he turned to face me. 

"I was thinking about going to the store, I don't know, though." He responded, sluggishly leaning against the wall behind us when I stepped closer to him. The store?

My eyes widened at the realization, "You had way too much to drink, you definitely shouldn't be driving!" I exclaimed, "Didn't you go to the store last night?" My concern had earned a frown from my boyfriend.