News From Afar

Elrond had called me over the next afternoon. Aragorn, Elrohir, and Elladan were also present when I entered his halls. Everyone looked at me somewhat depressed, their worried looks made me worry too.

"What's the matter? Has something happened?", I asked carefully.

Elrond spoke: "I told you about the Rings of Power. It now appears that one of these rings has been found. A hobbit from the Shire is said to have one of these rings in his possession. Mithrandir conveyed this message to me."

I wasn't sure how to react to this message, so I decided not to say anything for now.

"The ring that was found ..." Elrond hesitated. Something seemed to be bothering him. "It is most likely the one," Elrond continued after noticing my uncertainty. After saying the words, he seemed a little relieved.

"The one? Are you sure? But that would mean that Middle-earth and all of its inhabitants are in great danger!" I bursted out. I had read many old and new writings about the said ring and knew of the danger it posed. The thoughts raced in my head. Sauron had forged this ring to submit to all the peoples of Middle-earth and for a long time the ring was believed to be lost. How could it be that he was found now.

"One ring to rule them all.." began Aragorn.

"..to find them and in the darkness bind them. I know these words! If the one ring was actually found, Sauron will know about it too! He will look for the ring." I interrupted him rudely.  I couldn't hide my excitement, nor did I try. The thoughts in my head went crazy, scraps of old stories and sagas mixed with myths and theories I had read about. I felt dizzy and it took me a moment to regain an almost clear thought.

"He has already started his search.Aragorn was able to locate a creature named Gollum. Before the hobbit came into possession of the ring, the ring was in his possession. For hundreds of years," Elrond explained with great concern.

"I tracked Gollum in the Misty Mountains. He was previously captured and tortured by Sauron's forces. In pain he gave them the name of the hobbit. This trail will lead the enemy directly to him. Gandalf already knows and is already on his way to the Shire to warn the hobbit", added Aragorn, equally concerned.

"We have to do something. Sauron must not get the ring back under any circumstances. It would gain power and destroy Middle-earth.", I said, my voice trembled, I couldn't hide the fear. Suddenly I thought my combative behavior was foolish, what could I do against these rising forces? I was nothing more than a young woman who spent too much time reading books and dayreaming. I would have loved to just run into my room, hide under the covers and hope that it would all be just a bad dream. But it wasn't a dream, I had to stay focused.

"Luthien, you've read a lot about the ring in the books and you know what evil will be searching for the ring." Elrond seemed to see my uncertainty.

"Nazgul." I could hardly manage to bring out the word. I knew what that meant. They would find this poor hobbit, he would not be able to fight back. Nobody had a great chance to defend themselves against the ringwraiths. He would die and the rest of the world would die with him. I had to sit down. My still intact world just seemed to break into a thousand pieces. I felt a sense of despair.

I sat slumped on a bench. Aragorn put a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

My thoughts kept circling.

The hobbits were very peaceful people. I had read a lot about them and the Shire, and Bilbo, who had been living in Rivendell for several months, had told me a lot about the habits of his people and his homeland. They were not known as fighters or warriors, had so far stayed out of all wars and fights, many did not even know that they existed and yet our fate would now rest in the hands of one of these little beings.

"What are we going to do now?", I asked the group uncertainly. The fear in my voice could not be ignored. I sincerely hoped Elrond already had a plan. I knew that something had to be done as soon as possible.

"Gandalf will convince the hobbit to leave the Shire. Aragorn will set off to Bree today to await the two of them there. First we will take the hobbit to Rivendell. We cannot defend him here forever, but he is anyway safer than in the Shire." Elrond still had that worried expression on his face and Ellandan and Elrohir had also lost the joy they had shown in yesterday's sword practice.

"I'll go with you!" I shouted, not knowing why. At that moment I was not in control of my senses, thoughts about the fate of Middle-earth were racing in my head. I couldn't explain to myself where this sudden conviction came from, I was afraid and probably I just didn't want to sit around in Rivendell any longer and wait for my fate. I had waited by far long enough.

"No!" said Aragorn firmly. "It's too dangerous! We can't risk putting both of us in danger. You know our burden." I knew what he meant, but this time I didn't want to give up so easily. "Aragorn, what good is it to you to be the heir of a kingdom if it is destroyed by Sauron before the kingdom even finds out, about our existence! I will come with you. I have been in Rivendell long enough. I will not let you go alone!" My own determination surprised me, but some of my self-confidence returned.

"Luthien! Don't be a fool! Aragorn is right with his words! We mustn't risk losing both of you. This is no easy adventure, this venture could mean death. You know too much to run into your death lightly!", the certainty in Elrond's voice startled me.

Elrond was right, as always. I actually knew too much. Too much about the past, too much about what could still happen. I had no choice but to admit defeat once again. I would have to let him go alone, although I wanted nothing more than join my brother on his adventures. I was probably very naive in this regard, but so far I only knew evil from the books and it didn't scare me quite as much as it probably should have. A little depressed, I agreed.

-

It was already getting dark when I went back to my room, closed the door behind me and, a little frustrated and scared, let myself fall down onto my bed.

I don't know how long I'd been lying there, but the knock on the door pulled me out of my mind.

"Come in!", I called out of politeness, although I would have preferred to stay alone.

Aragorn cautiously pushed the door open and sat next to me on the bed.

"Next time I'll take you with me," he said. I was certain, he was only saying that to cheer me up. Who knew if there would be a next time at all.

I indicated a nod.

"Oh Luthien, if I had known that the world was changing like that, I would have taken you with me sooner. But I hope you understand that our role is too important by now," he said hesitantly.

I would have understood if Aragorn would finally look his fate in the eyes.

"For years you have tried to escape your fate, did not want to face the responsibility. Why now of all times?" I asked critically.

I received no answer, Aragorn sat next to me with his head bowed low.  Apparently my question hit him somehow. I felt bad, I wronged him.  At least I knew how long he had struggled with his fate, actually I should have been happy, if he would finally accepted it.

"I'm sorry...", I started to apologize, but was immediately interrupted.

"No, you are probably right,", said Aragorn dejectedly. I put my head on his shoulder comfortingly.

We sat in silence for a while before Aragorn said goodbye.

I was tired, exhausted from all the information and thoughts. I fell asleep quickly.