Farewell For A While

Early the next morning Aragorn had saddled his horse to leave for Bree. If I wasn’t allowed to come with him, I insisted on accompanying him at least to the borders of Rivendell. Thumean was waiting impatiently for me in the stable. Because of the excitement about the ring, I didn't ride out yesterday. Thumean was always a bit offended, which is why I had to persuade him well.

The animal was really stubborn, like a donkey, when something didn't suit him well. But other than that, Thumean was the most dependable horse one could ask for. Its appearance alone scared most people. He was taller than normal horses, well built and pitch black from head to hoof. Even his eyes were of a deep black. I was never put off by his appearance. When I saw him for the first time, hed be no more than a little foal, I was fascinated. And since none of the Elves had dared to approach him, Elrond allowed me to take care of him. You could say we taught each other how to ride and in the process grew into an inseparable team. Thumean would jump over any obstacle for me and cover any distance with me. He would probably even ride to death with me if I asked him to.

Aragorn was already waiting when I led my horse out of the stable. He managed a smile. We left immediately. At first we didn't talk at all, the silence was fine for both of us, even if we both felt we had so much to talk about. We always got along without big words. Unfortunately, with the excitement about the Ring, we hadn't had time to talk about Aragorn's past adventures. But now was not the right time for adventure stories.

The morning was cloudy, a thick misty fog hung between the trees, the sun was hidden behind a thick layer of cloud. It would probably rain today.

From afar I heard the loud rustling of the Bruinen, the river that marked the western border of Rivendell. It had rained a lot in the past few days and therefore the river carried a lot of water.

"Luthien I hope you will understand all of this." Aragorn broke the silence.  He still sounded dejected.

"You know that I didn't want to accept my fate so far, but now that the ring has been found and the downfall of Middle-earth is imminent, I will have no other choice but to step out of the shadows and acknowledge my fate.", he replied to the question I asked him yesterday. I was surprised.

"Elrond has always tried to prepare you. I too believe that you cannot run away from our past forever. We do not know what the future will bring, but be sure that no matter how you choose, I will always be by your side", I said gently. After a short pause I added, "And the next time you leave Rivendell, I'll come with you."  I grinned at him. "And if I have to secretly follow you to do this..." Aragorn couldn't help but smile.

"Promise me that you will take care of yourself until I get back," he said quietly, his smile giving way to concern for a brief moment.

"Promise me you'll come back!" I replied.

We smiled hopefully at each other one last time before Aragorn drove his horse across the ford. Without looking back, he dashed off into the unknown land. There I stood now, alone, as often.

With a heavy heart I made my way back to Rivendell, not taking the direct route, but riding through the woods for a while and enjoying the solitude before I returned home. It had actually started to rain by now, but I didn't care. I arrived in Rivendell with wet clothes.

The next few days were torture for me. I knew that my brother was on a dangerous venture and that he could arrive in Rivendell at any day with the Hobbit and Gandalf. The uncertainty and the tension were nearly unbearable.

I spent a lot of time on the practice site these days. I wanted to be prepared, no one knew what way lay before us. And I stuck to my decision.  Next time I would come with him. In addition, the physical exertion distracted me for at least a few hours.

Ten days had passed since Aragorn had left Rivendell. As a good rider he could have reached Bree after three days of hasty gallop. With Gandalf and the Hobbit, it might take him twice as long to get back. So he could have easily been back with a horse after nine days. I tried to find explanations. He might have left his horse behind, he might have taken a safe detour. But otherwise, which way would still be safe in these times.  Thoughts circled in my head, good and bad ones. The worries made me uneasy.

Elrond had told me to gather as much information as possible about Sauron and the Nazgul. He had meanwhile sent letters to all parts of Middle-earth and convened a council to decide what to do next. The council was supposed to take place in about 30 days, so I had enough time to collect all the information. I spent most of my time in the library; I had always enjoyed being there. I couldn't hide a certain fascination for old books and writings and so I didn't mind digging through ancient texts for hours in the hope of discovering any useful information.

-

On the twelfth day after Aragorn left, Elrond called me over. Arwen, Elladan, and Elrohir were also there.

"As you know, Aragorn should have been back a long time ago. I'm very worried too and have decided to send out my sons to look for him. Arwen has decided to support them. I know that you too would like to contribute,  but let me explain before you try to convince me to let you go too. "Elrond began straightforwardly. He knew me well, didn't give me even a chance to say a word. "I need you here Luthien. Even if Aragorn and Gandalf cannot bring the hobbit to Rivendell, I need you and your knowledge here. The council will take place soon, various representatives of the countries have already announced their coming and are expected to arrive in the next days. We have to show them the dangers and for that I need the information you have gathered. "

I had to acknowledge that Elrond had chosen his argument well. He seemed to be aware that I would not have been satisfied with a simple 'no' this time. The prospect of making my contribution by participating in the secret council and being able to help there with my knowledge convinced me. I was also sure that Elrond's children would do their utmost to bring Aragorn back safely.

And so, to the surprise of everyone, I consented without objection. "I will stay.", I stated with a smile and for a short moment enjoyed the amazement in there eyes.