02 - Contingencies

New

Businesses always run on a lot of uncertainties. The probabilities run in a vast spectrum of positive and negative events that could impact the organization. For this reason, companies have business contingency plans to prepare themselves for responses once any of these events materializes. But to be able to create these contingency plans, one must first identify all key risks to the business.

My life runs on a well-calculated strategy; even having its own contingency plans. I spent years of research and planning to perfect it. But somehow, something flew right by my nose since what I learned today came to me by surprise.

"Aren't you gonna take a break, New? We're headed down to the cafeteria downstairs. Wanna join us?", my colleague asked me while I was busy familiarizing myself with the reports I was supposed to be doing in my time here in the Taxation department. "Thanks for the offer, First. But Victor invited us interns for lunch today." I replied. "Okay, see you later then! Don't stress out too much on your work. It's natural to be confused at first." He waved goodbye.

First must have seen my perplexed expression as I was staring intensely at my assigned computer. Even being one of the brightest students in my year, I still have my own waterloo – and that is Taxation. And to top that, working in a multi-national company, I had to quickly familiarize myself with the different tax laws of the regions we are operating in.

"Stressed already?" I heard Gun speak after I let out a deep sigh. "C'mon, Gigie and Ampere is already at Victor's office." I just stared blankly at my friend and stood up not wanting to keep them waiting any longer.

Victor treated us to a Japanese restaurant just across our building. We learned that he and Ampere were actually college friends. Ampere who was eight months pregnant is working as the COO's executive assistant. But her role transcends the title because she gives a lot of finance support to the COO's office especially for special projects the office is undertaking.

Conversations over lunch were mostly about us three, our career aspirations and our expectations out of our internship in the company. Gigie talked about her dream of being an investment consultant and maybe start her own brokerage company. Gun on the other hand was trying to gain experience in finance and would probably help running the chain of hotels and resorts their family owns.

"Why didn't you get an internship in your family's company? That would've been easier for you." Ampere asked. "I didn't wanna use my family's influence," he replied which made me scoff. "Oho. Really Gun? And yet-" Gigie elbowed me to keep me from talking. "Is there a problem, Thitipoom?" Gun raised his eyebrow at me and probably annoyed since he used my real name. I might have pushed his buttons for the second time today.

"Okay fine. I know you both know this," Gun regarded Victor and Ampere. "but I might have gotten some help in getting in V Food Corp. That's not a secret, but I'm not proud of that either." Gun paused and scrunched at me as if saying Happy? "I didn't want to just do my internship in our company because I know that people there would just patronize me. I don't want that; how would I learn?"

"And unlike these two," he proceeded as he pointed his chopsticks at Gigie and me from across the table. "who have perfect credentials to get into the company, let's just say I'm just average. I might have asked for help from someone in the company."

"Well, I didn't know that." Victor said. "And to be honest, you were in my top five out of the what, maybe thirty or thirty-five, who applied for the internship. You are qualified, too, Gun." Victor reassured my friend.

"I might have heard over the phone that someone put a word for you in. But Mr. Tawan didn't really act on it as far as I know. Besides, it's not like he has any say in the internship program in Finance." With that, I just bowed my head in guilt. I realized how I immediately dismissed Gun's talents just because his boyfriend knew someone in the company. How could have I doubted one of my best friends when I know in the back of my mind how good he is? Maybe it's just my bias against the rich and influential people. The entire table fell silent. Damn New, you just had to make everything awkward.