Chapter 3 - Powers

Arite ripped the IV's from his arm and sprinted out of of the room, all before Tony and Nat could process what was happening. Too late to stop him, the two Avengers fled the room and followed the boy.

Doctors and nurses were scrambling in and out of the room next door, which was Kelsey's. Her wailing and screaming could be heard throughout the hall, Artie ducked in the door before anyone could stop him.

"Kelsey!" he cried, "Kelsey! Kelsey!"

The flailed and kicked, trying to shove everyone away, Tony and Nat stood back, in the corner of the room, uncertain of what to do. The doctors and nurses tried to pull Artie away but he wouldn't let them, "Stop, just let me calm her down!"

He grabbed her arms and held them down so she wouldn't risk yanking her IV's out, Artie continued talking in a soothing voice, "Hey, Kelsey, I'm here alright. It's ok, just focus on my voice alright? It's ok. They're here to help."

Kelsey stopped struggling as much, the doctors watched alongside Tony and Nat, all of whom were uncertain of what to do.

Artie brushed the girl's brown hair from her face, "Shh, Kelsey it's alright. Ok. The doctors are gonna help you."

Kelsey began breathing at a normal rate and calmed down slightly her body still tense, "I'm sorry."

"It's alright. The doctors are gonna take care of you now ok. Look they fixed me up and they're gonna fix you up too." Artie replied in a soothing tone.

Kelsey smiled, and she looked around the room, her eyes landed on Tony, "You're Tony Stark. The one that helped us right?"

Tony nodded and stepped closer to the bed, Nat turned and ushered the remaining doctors and nurses out of the room, assuring them that if anything went wrong she'd call them in right away.

Kelsey's shoulder length brown hair flipped as she turned her head towards Nat, "And you're Natasha Romanoff."

Nat stepped threateningly close to the bed, "How do you know that?"

Kelsey smirked, all signs of her previous panic attack gone, "I know lots of things."

Artie turned his focus back to Kelsey, "Kels, what happened, what did you see?"

"I didn't see anything Art, I just heard them. All of them." Kelsey replied, "I couldn't keep them out."

"What does she mean she heard them? Heard who?" Nat asked sharply.

Kelsey looked up at her, "Everyone. I could hear everyone. All talking in my head."

Tony look confused and glanced at Artie to explain. The boy sighed and sat on the edge of Kelsey's hospital bed, "I told you that Kelsey was special, that she was valuable to H.I.D.E. right? Well it's because she's their most successful experiment. She can read minds."

Tony looked at the girl, whose head was still wrapped in a white bandage, who looked twice as small as she should, who was just shot a few days ago and who just had a minor panic attack in her hospital room, "Really? What am I thinking of now?"

Kelsey looked at him and scrunched her nose, "You're thinking about what you should do with us," she gestured to herself and Artie, "and if you should call in the other Avengers."

"Hmm..nice." Tony remarked, smiling.

"How do we know that you won't just gather all of SHIELD's information from our heads and use it against us?" Nat remarked.

"Come here and I'll show you." Kelsey said, reaching her hand out.

Artie looked suspicious, "Are you sure you can handle it?"

Kelsey nodded, "I've been practicing remember?"

Nat took a step closer to the edge of the bed and Kelsey touched her hand to Nat's red hair, flattening it as she pressed her palm to Natasha's head. Both girl's flinched and closed their eyes and for a moment, nothing happened. Then Kelsey opened her eyes, only this time they weren't her normal brown color, instead they glowed blue and stared straight ahead, while Nat grimaced in pain.

"What are you doing to her?" Tony yelled and just as he was about in intervene Kelsey's eye faded to normal and Nat stumbled backwards staring straight at the girl.

"I'm never going back there, and I'll do whatever it takes to burn them to the ground." Kelsey stated, staring directly at the two Avenger's.

Nat nodded, "I believe you. Tony call in the other Avengers. They need to get here right away."

Tony rolled his eyes, "Yes captain."

Agent Romanoff brushed past him as she exited the room, "Shut up Stark."

Tony shrugged at the two kids, "Stay here and let the doctors help you. Ask for me if you need anything." He turned and followed Natasha out of the room, picking up speed to catch up with her.

"Jarvis, call the Avenger's immediately and tell them they need to get to Avenger's Tower ASAP." Tony commanded his AI.

"Right away sir." Jarvis responded.

"Hey Agent wait up." Tony ran to catch up with the impossibly fast walker, "What happened in there? What did she do to you?"

"I'm not quite sure. But I think I saw her, well I was looking through her eyes, I think. I saw what those people did to her and the others. It wasn't pretty. If everything I saw and everything they've told us is true then we're going to have a major problem on our hands."

Tony nodded, "So, what are we gonna do?"

"Well the only thing we can do at the moment. Wait. Train. And plan." Nat replied.

"Ugh three of my least favorite things." Tony muttered.

A/N: Alright so sorry this chapter is sort of short and still more background information but I wanted to get this up before this week as I have exams and family visiting so it will be non-stop studying and visiting for me. Yay. Anyways I hope you enjoyed it and thanks for reading!! Also I like to try to pair up the newbie 'Avengers' to a veteran Avenger, like Tony and Peter in the first book, so feel free to comment about which pairings you'd like to see with Kelsey and Artie, the most popular ones will be incorporated into the story! YAY! :) Alright time to get back to studying math....urgh.