The Calling

I always loved the ocean, there was an undeniable pull—a pull so strong that always spoke to my inner self. The sky was as bright as blue as it could be. I was surrounded by absolutely nothing—except the endless deep blue ocean. Lucky for me, I wasn't drowning. I lay atop jagged rocks, unable to move, as I drenched the rocks with my red blood. I had no choice. I could not call for help. I tried lifting my neck just a tiny bit only so that I could see further an inch beyond my normal vision, but my body hurt. I wasn't supposed to die this way, certainly not. Vultures were now roaming up ahead. They were waiting for my last breath.... until I heard the water speak. There was a tiny splash like baby's legs flapping against the water. I turned slowly, very slowly, for I could hear my heart respond inside my chest. Two pair of blue eyes stared back at me from the water. On a normal context, I would have termed him as a 'boy', but nothing was normal. I was bleeding to death on a rock in the Baltic sea in the middle of nowhere. The rock was my tiny island and also the reason my bones lay broken. But I was missing the point. The boy, the boy with the blue eyes stared back at me. He lifted his head an inch higher, showing me his perfect beautiful face. He looked so young, like he was ten. And it was then I noticed a green scaled fish tail flapping behind him. He opened his mouth and I heard nothing.... until all of a sudden, I could hear everything. The ocean bed was no longer calm, no longer quiet. I could hear voices, they sounded like there were people everywhere, but my rational part told me that was not possible, which meant....

I looked at the boy again, he was gone. Instead, a pair of blue eyes with the face of a man stared back at me. I felt my heart clench, if that was possible at this point. The man raised an arm, that was so humanly and reached out, pausing a breath away from my own. He was waiting, I thought. I nodded, gently, and his fingers brushed against my arm. I gasped, feeling a rush of desire all the way down to my centre. It was so strong that I felt myself release. But it was a cold one.

I was now breathless, my body tingling in response. Was I dreaming? It certainly didn't feel like a dream. But a part of me felt alive suddenly. I may be dying, but this was a beautiful moment, I would cherish. I turned back to the man, only to find an old man, still handsome, with the same piercing blue eyes stare back at me. He moved up on the rocks and gently touched the top of my head. My heart swelled up with warmth. I felt a tear slid down from my cheek, and he brushed his thumb against my face, shaking his head ever so gently.

This was it, I thought, my time had come. I felt myself going limp, and just as I let out the final tiny breath, two pair of strong hands lifted my broken body from the now blood-soaked rocks, and I glanced up to find the Man staring down at me. I was now being moved closer to the sea, but strangely, it almost felt as I was going home. I didn't fight that feeling, I welcome it. I embraced it. 

This was home.