Borders

One month later

Amaryllis watched as the border between her hometown and the town next to her's was torn down. She clasped her hands together, giddy with excitement. Her hometown cheered as the wall crashed to the ground.

Ulric had begun the process of coexisting with the humans. After the incident with the little boy Sam, Ulric had listened to her. It wasn't without arguing and compromising, but he had listened to her. Humans would finally be free.

Ulric still had to institute a form of blood donations because, without that, the vampires wouldn't be able to survive. If there wasn't some type of donation set up, vampires would find blood their own ways by taking and killing humans, so it would be safer for the humans that way as well.

Amaryllis and Ulric were back in her hometown to watch the border fall, as well as for them to make a televised speech to the kingdom, the embassies across the world, and the humans. The speech entailed the new rules, regulations, and procedures that everyone needed to follow to ensure this process worked in full, and to ensure it would continue working for years to come.

After they had given their televised speech, the couple walked off the stage. The humans and the vampires present cheered and clapped, and Amaryllis couldn't help her smile. She was thrilled that most people seemed to support the decision to coexist. Obviously, some of the vampires were upset, but when Ulric explained that they wouldn't lose their blood sources, they didn't seem opposed anymore.

There still were people in complete opposition, the radical vampires, just as there were humans who were in complete opposition, radical humans. Such vampires want humans under their complete control and the humans want to be liberated completely and don't want to participate in the blood donations. Ulric knew he would have to deal with either group if they were to make a violent outburst of some sort, but at the moment they only voiced their opinions and did not act on anything.

"What are you smiling about, sweet girl?" Ulric asked. He placed his hand on her waist and led them toward her parent's house.

"I'm happy that people seem so responsive to this," she said. She was a little worried that her first power move as Queen was to completely dismantle the hierarchy between humans and vampires, but the vast majority of vampires were in full support, especially since they wouldn't be cut off from their blood sources.

"I'm pleased with how everyone is reacting, too. I know there will be opposition on both sides, but we will deal with that if the time comes."

"I think we did good," she said.

"Me too, sweet girl," he said and placed a kiss on top of her head.

Amaryllis cut the silky red ribbon that blocked off the sidewalk to the newly built daycare. There was a group of people around, excited that she'd completed her first project as Queen and that this project was so successful.

Not only did she hope that this daycare would provide a modern and fun place for children to be creative, but she also hoped it became a symbol for the unity between humans and vampires. The daycare would be a center for both species, human and vampire children, as well as human and vampire caretakers.

"Thank you so much, my Queen," Binta said. "I'd been dreaming of this moment for quite some time."

Amaryllis crinkled her nose at the name. She didn't like the formality of it. "Just call me Amaryllis, Binta. And thank you, this wouldn't have been possible without your ideas," she said.

The daycare was open for business that day and they'd already had several children -both vampire and human- booked for the day.

"I'm proud of you, sweet girl," Ulric said beside her.