7

OV FOUND HERSELF IN a small passage, the walls like magma. The air was suffocating, and sweat trickled down her back as she squinted into the blazing light.

Just keep moving.

She quickly made her way down the hall, checking to make sure there were no rooms or passageways protruding from it. QB could be anywhere.

The corridor was maze-like, twisting and turning in every direction. She felt like she was lost in a cornfield; everything looked the same with no sure sign of an exit. The only difference was the walls were always parallel—there was no other way to go other than forward or backward. At least it was leading her somewhere.

She slicked back the loose strands of hair that were plastered to her forehead, wiping away large drops of sweat that instantly reformed. The heat was intense, almost unbearable. She wished she could scale the walls to see how far she was from the end, if there was one.

She stumbled out into a large open area. It radiated fire—roaring pyres acted as columns; a flaming gate fenced in an inset, giving the place the appearance of Greek-style amphitheater. Heat waves rippled from every surface, making it difficult to see. The ceiling went up for miles.

OV stood, panting, as she surveyed the space. She had to blink a few times to focus, feeling light-headed from the heat.

The main floor seemed void of obstacles, though she didn't doubt there were switches in the floorboards that triggered traps, like earlier. Her bicep throbbed at the memory.

A large opening in the corner of the room led to the next section of the course. OV took a deep breath and headed in the direction of the opening, pausing momentarily to peer down into the inset.

The hole was about ten feet deep, with a steep stairwell descending into it. She found it strange that the Academy would have included this area in the course, as it didn't seem to serve a purpose.

Her eyes darted around the trench before landing in the far corner. A large, dark figure shifted around before raising its head. OV nearly choked.

Why the hell would they put a bear in here?! Are they insane?!

In all her years at the Academy, never had they put something like this in the arena. Maybe they were trying to step up the intensity.

She held her breath and began slowly backing away from the edge of the pit, praying the beast hadn't seen her. If she could just make it to the opening...

OV stopped, her eyes catching on something at the bottom of the chasm. It was much smaller than the black bear, and a little mangled, but...

Shit. You've got to be kidding me.

QB lay motionless a few yards away from the animal, near the bottom of the stairwell and framed by smears of blood on the concrete floor. And now she had to go down there and get him.

But then what?

She supposed she could take him to the next section of the course, but if the bear followed them, they wouldn't stand a chance. She sighed. Maybe she could risk that the bear wouldn't see them, but it seemed like a long shot.

Upon looking around the room a second time, she noticed a small metal door near the corner opposite her, it's surface glinting in the flames.

Of course! The maintenance door!

She crawled over to it, careful that the bear wouldn't see her. The roaring flames brought down any chance of it hearing her, at least.

The handle didn't budge when she tried it.

Locked, as expected.

But it was well worn and rusted. OV studied it, trying to find the right way to bypass the lock mechanism. She fished out the pin she'd used to loosen the grate earlier and bent it so she could easily slip it into the keyhole.

After a few tries, the lock finally gave way and crashed to the concrete floor, the noise echoing through the room before being drowned out by the fire. The door creaked open.

A rush of accomplishment flooded OV, but quickly evaporated when she realized that the beast had almost certainly heard the noise. She froze and looked back toward the stairwell.

Sure enough, a loud grunt sounded and a few seconds later the bear came lumbering out of the chasm, sniffing the air to find the source of the commotion.

OV slowly crept through the open door and hid in the shadows. It wouldn't find her there, so long as it didn't come close enough to smell her. Her heart pounded as she took shallow breaths to avoid making noise. She glanced behind her into the dark corridor.

It would be so easy to get away...

She slowly inhaled, fighting adrenaline. No, she had to save QB; he would've done the same for her. After all, that's why she'd come this far to begin with.

The bear plodded toward the wall opposite her—now was her chance. She crept over to the stairwell and silently tip-toed into the pit.

Kneeling at his side, she looked him over. Blood oozed from various cuts on his arms and face, but other than that and a few burns, he seemed to be in one piece.

"Alright, I'm getting you out of here," she whispered, moving him into an easier position to carry.

More blood pooled on the ground as she adjusted his body. A huge gash stretched his side. OV cringed. No wonder he'd passed out.

She tore off what was left of his shirt and tied it around his midsection to staunch the wound, but the cloth was quickly soaked with scarlet. OV sighed in frustration. Taking off her shirt, she ripped it into two strips before tying both around QB's torso in a makeshift bandage, hoping it would hold. It had to.

The skin on her back burned; the only thing protecting her upper body from the flames now was a thin undershirt. At least she had that much.

Muscles straining, she hoisted his body over her shoulder, grunting under his weight. She could see tiny pricks of red already bleeding through the second shirt, staining it. He was losing too much blood—she had to get him to the infirmary, and fast.

She crept up the steps, eyes darting around the room for any sign of the bear. There seemed to be a clear shot to the door.

OV's eyes lit up.

Perfect.

They were almost to the top of the stairs.

Four more steps.

Three.

Two.

Her foot slipped on the last step; she fell and cracked her knee on its edge. OV yelped in pain as blood dripped from her knee-cap. Shakily, she stood up and stumbled toward the exit. There was no way the beast hadn't heard that.

A low bellow echoed through the chamber. OV's eyes snapped to the bear, it's hulking mass balanced on its large hind paws. It growled and fixed its beady eyes on her.

Before she could react, it dropped down on its front paws and barreled toward them.