Chapter 4 - A Man of few words

Chapter 4

The winds had remained strong and constant the entire journey, guiding them towards the enigmatic destination. By the time the ships had pulled onto the shore, the moon had climbed higher in the sky, casting a silver light upon them. The men jumped off the ships, stomping through the water to get to the scarce beach.

Some of them were carrying wooden lockboxes with them. Although Faylin knew nothing about what the boxes were, or what they contained, she was sure that whatever it was, it would lead them further into sin-stained lives - she knew. The way their eyes sparkled with avarice was a dead giveaway. This was sinful, and she felt her heart clench at the thought of doing something against God's will.

Faylin shook the thought out of her mind.

It matters neither way. I will die before I get to see another day. My sins will be washed away.

Strong arms hauled her back onto her feet. She let out a shriek, feeling the unsteadiness beneath her at the sudden forced movement. She struggled uselessly against the grip, pushing against whoever was holding her.

Her breath caught as she came face to face with a man's broad chest, his masculine scent assaulting her senses. Involuntarily, she let out a slow breath at their proximity before looking up.

Cold, sharp eyes stared intensely at her. His long hair was blowing in the sea breeze as he tilted his head to the side and assessed her face in a disconcerting way.

Anger surfaced within her. Faylin felt like she was an animal being appraised!

She tried to yank herself free from his hands, screaming and trashing about violently. She knew what the barbarian wanted from her. Fear. He wanted her to fear him and to beg him for mercy.

She wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

"Unhand me, you filthy beast!" she yelled at him in her own language, although she knew he couldn't understand her. Instead of getting angry, he looked down at her, amused by her resistance. Faylin used all her force against him but he was a mass of muscle and she was a petite woman. The man hadn't even budge.

It made her even angrier.

"What is it you want from us? Let me go! No- Ahlis!" she tried calling over her shoulder to her companion in pain but his strong hand tugged her forward. He was taking her away! Panic overtook her instincts, and she froze as his grip on her arm tightened and he turned around, dragging her behind him towards the other side of the ship.

She glared at his back.

The first chance I get I will escape!

It didn't take her long to notice the throbbing pain that ran through her knee whenever she applied pressure on her left leg. She winced as sweat surfaced in beads on her forehead. Stubborn as she was, she refused to let her pain show.

In one swift motion, the man turned - startling her in the process - and swung her out over the side of the ship, lowering her down towards the water. She stumbled sideways, the pain in her knee making her eyes water as she leaned on it.

The heathen followed suit and took her wrists once again in a firm, yet gentle grip. It didn't matter how gentle he was being, however, Faylin's mind was screaming in protest to his manhandling.

He had stolen her from everything she had ever known and for that, she would hate him forever, no matter what.

Water lapped at her ankles with every step she took and she clenched her teeth, focusing on anything but the sharp, intensifying pain. Faylin tried; she really tried to summon the energy, but she could find none left, and so she felt herself falling, crying out in pain. Faylin closed her eyes, expecting to feel the impact of her body hitting the ground but it never came.

His hand had shot out, making sure she stayed upright, leaning her heavily against his rigid body. She took a deep, shuddering breath at his action and before she could protest, her captor leaned down and swept her off her feet, into his strong arms. Faylin heard herself gasp in outrage and mortification at the indecency of his action.

"Let go of me! How dare you touch me, you big oaf!"

"Open your mouth one more time woman and you'll see yourself sleeping with the fishes," he said, their eyes connecting for a moment, leaving her speechless. It was the first time he had spoken to her but more than that, he knew her language that startled her.

She inhaled sharply, eyes widening in shock. The words were pronounced with a heavy accent. Nonetheless, she understood him perfectly. Then, every insult she had hurled his way came to her mind. Faylin paled at the thought. Will he make me pay for them?

She could hear male voices, laughter and catcalls. The men who were still about were witnessing her humiliation and they were taking pleasure from it. Wicked, perverse... depraved! They were evil personified!

That didn't settle well with her at all, not when one of them was carrying her and she couldn't do anything to stop him. Unable to bear the thought of looking at him, she closed her eyes.

Eventually, she fell asleep that way - exhausted.