Chapter 7 - The Kiss

The gates were pulled open and the horses moved forward, striding into dark pagan land. Faylin knew that she was entering the enemy's territory; a cold reality she would now have to face every day as her only route of escape had been cut off. 

Feeling tears pricking the back of her eyelids, she clenched her fists so tightly that her nails dug into her palms, leaving deep half-moons indentations in the soft flesh. She had a sudden urge to scream like a madwoman and hit something hard to vent her anger, frustration and sadness to get them out of her body and mind. But no, she would not do it. She refused to show any weakness.

If she did that, she would not only end up hurting herself but also turn into one of them –a barbarian. 

Is this the way I envisioned being defeated? She almost scoffed at the idea. 

Her eyes flickered and she licked her chapped lips and watched as they passed many longhouses, some with small vegetable gardens surrounding the structure. Although she would never admit it, it appeared to be a prosperous village. Unlike her own village, this was, very well organized.

She noticed how a few of the men who had ridden alongside Tore dispersed themselves. Women had smiles on their faces as the warriors swept them off their feet and embraced them. Faylin watched in disgust as some even went as far as to hurry on into their houses, full of beaming smiles and hearty laughter. 

It was startling, bringing within her a feeling of sheer repugnance. There was no respect here nor were there any manners. Even in broad daylight!  

Faylin turned her face away. Maybe for these people it was normal behavior, but for her, one who had taken a vow of abstinence, this was sinful. 

"What will happen to the girl who slept beside me?" she asked Tore, hoping to get a straight answer from him. 

"I will give her as a gift to my brother. No harm will come to her as long as she shows respect to Eirik," he replied. Faylin contemplated his words and the true meaning behind them. They had a sort of strange assurance though they did nothing to convey the underlying threat: Be meek and submissive. That way I might not pour out my wrath on you.

"You monster! We are not objects! Y-you can't pass us around whenever you wish!" she yelled at him, twisting and squirming to get herself free of his hold, completely unaware of the attention she was attracting.

Faylin cried out in pain as Tore grabbed her hair forcefully, tipping her head back. Her body started shaking in fear while her heart pounded painfully in her chest. His grip on the reins tightened when he noticed her tremors. 

"I swear by Odin, I'll drag you along behind this horse if you don't calm down," he warned her, burying his face in the crook of her neck briefly. Faylin nodded quickly just so he would let her go. She wanted to push him away and have the feeling of his beard scratching against her skin gone. 

After releasing her hair his, fingers massaged her scalp to ease the pain. Her face flushed with anger. Like that was going to soothe her.

"I hate you," she hissed, venom flowing in her tone.

"Your words mean nothing to me, woman," he said, amusement lacing his voice. Faylin gritted her teeth as his hand came to rest on her thigh. "This hate consuming you will keep me alive. It will guide me when I go sailing." He leaned closer, making sure she was the only one who heard him. "Rest assured that I will always find my way back to you; to the comfort of your arms."

She let out a snort; his words were making her stomach queasy. "I despise your entire being. I'd rather die than to give myself to a man like you," Faylin said in a serious and cold tone.