Τέσσερα

Polyboea brought the comb through Hyacinthus' hair, carefully, as to not tug on it too hard.

"Your hair never knots." She said, an ever-present smile plastered on her face. Her hair curled much like his own, deep brown and coiled at the ends. Her hair was often pulled back neatly, secured with ribbons and beads; but right now, early in the morning, her hair was loose and long, resting at her midback. She'd probably let him brush it later. "You must teach me your secrets."

"I'm afraid there's no secrets to tell. At least that I know of." He replied, letting her set the comb aside and run her fingers through his hair.

His hair was long these days, reaching just above his chin. It was a sign of his age, that he was no longer a child, regardless of how his family treated him. Often he would let it fall freely in his face, but sometimes he would wear a band, pushing it back out of his eyes and making whatever activity he was doing much easier.

"Then you are lucky." She continued to brush. She seemed to take great delight in spending time with him.

"I suppose I am."

Her smile was as bright as the sun.

It had been a great devastation to Greek men everywhere when Polyboea announced her intention to be a priestess. It meant she could not marry, she had to remain a virgin to serve a virgin goddess, and she had said it had been one of the many reliefs of joining the priesthood. "Men can be incorrigibly foul." she had said, "I have never desired to marry one."

Hyacinthus did not disagree. Cynortas was most certainly foul, and incorrigible, and any other negative adjective he could think of. If Cynortas was the future hope for Sparta, he thought, then Sparta was lost.

Argalus was okay, as was Thamyris and his father. Hyacinthus hadn't known Apollo long enough to know if he was okay; he seemed to be, if a bit flirtatious and brash.

"You know, a messenger arrived a couple of days ago, from Argos." Polyboea continued, setting the comb down and swapping places with Hyacinthus, who had been sat on the tiled ground. "It appears that Argalus is getting married."

Hyacinthus frowned. He had heard nothing of this.

"Argalus is getting married?" He questioned, slowly bringing the comb through Polyboea's hair. "To whom?"

"The king's eldest daughter. I think her name is Xanthippe, or something along those lines. I don't remember. We've met...once? I think?" She shook her head. "It was years ago.

Hyacinthus thought for a moment, before he realised where he'd heard that name before.

"By Xanthippe, do you mean 'Xanthippe, the girl Cynortas was interested in'?"

Polyboea smiled. "The girl who rejected him? Yes. I was rather amused when I heard it too; I look forward to seeing his reaction when he finds out." She laughed. "He'll probably be keen to get Cynortas married too, and Laodamia."

"Not us?"

"Not us." She concurred. "A perk of being a virgin priestess and the youngest son: we can do what we like."

Hyacinthus laughed.

It was true. As the youngest child, not only the youngest son, Hyacinthus had almost complete free reign to do as he wished, which was probably one of the reason Cynortas resented him. Cynortas had responsibilities, and for the most part Hyacinthus did not.

Of course he had to learn how to run the country, in case of a great tragedy/blessing, as well as learning everything expected of a man of his social standing, but he wasn't expected to learn much more than that. It was one of the reasons that, as a twenty year old man, he was allowed to frolic around with other men such as Thamyris (though he'd probably be married off at some point, to keep up appearances).