Chapter 6: A Day's Work

(Hi everyone! Thank you all so much for 1K reads <3 I can't believe that this is the end! I should hopefully have more Ludwiggy content in the future, follow me for updates!! This chapter is a bit long, but I hope you enjoy it!)

Bowser took a step towards Mario and breathed a fireball at him. Mario dodged and kept his distance from Bowser, his minuscule fireballs barely hurting Bowser.

Here we go, Bowser thought as he leapt into the air, allowing Mario to pass through to the other side of the bridge. It'll only hurt for a moment.

Mario activated the axe-controlling switch, and the bridge began to collapse beneath Bowser, like many fights in the past, and Mario watched as Bowser fell into the lava below with a roar and disappeared into the scorching depths.

"Mario number one! Wahoo!" Mario cheered, and the stone wall he faced slowly opened, revealing another massive flight of stairs. He walked out towards the staircase.

Fuck this hurts so bad, they better get me outta here stat! Bowser's eyes were shut tightly and he held his breath as the lava encased him. Suddenly, the lava began to quake. Bowser's body began to feel strange. Kamek and Bowser Jr. had flown into the room to prepare Bowser for the next part of the battle using Kamek's magic. Unbeknownst to Mario, the setup with the bridge was just a temporary facade. The battle was only just about to begin.

Mario eventually made it to the top of the staircase and stood at the beginning of a long platform flanked by two stone pillars. A wide, seemingly-bottomless pit separated the platform from the watchtower, in which Peach currently resided. Peach saw her friend and cried out his name. Suddenly, iron bars appeared on the window. Peach and Mario both gasped, then Peach became completely out of sight when an iron plate with Bowser Jr.'s face on it covered her window. However, Peach was still able to see, and she tentatively pressed her face to the window to watch the battle take place.

Mario watched in horror as Bowser Jr. emerged from the pit in the Koopa Clown. Pure dread settled in his gut as Bowser leapt from the pit and landed on the platform. He was now about ten times bigger than before. Mario looked intimidated, but he prepared himself to fight the two.

"Good luck, Bowser..." Peach whispered from the watchtower.

Bowser let out an earsplitting roar. This was the real final battle.

Bowser's elephantine footsteps shook the ground as he slowly approached Mario. Mario attempted to hurt Bowser with his fireballs, but Bowser's now-giant size prevented Mario from doing so, as they were now even puny compared to Bowser. On the contrary, Bowser's fireballs had become even larger and less avoidable, making Bowser even more lethal than before. He breathed them out at Mario, one after another. Bowser Jr. wanted to contribute to the fight, so he chased after Mario in the Koopa Clown, and once he was above Mario, the clown spiraled to the ground at a rapid pace, attempting to crush Mario. However, Mario leapt out of the way, and managed to stomp on Jr.'s head while he was at ground level.

Stunned, Bowser Jr. fell out of the Koopa Clown with a cry of pain. Mario, thinking quickly, took advantage of his fall and hopped into the Koopa Clown. Surprisingly, it was not very hard to control, and as Bowser Jr. retreated into his shell, Mario flew up into the air. Bowser had no time to react, and by the time he looked up, Mario was hovering above him. Mario promptly slammed the Koopa Clown into Bowser's head.

Bowser roared in pain, and his massive body disappeared into his shell, which had now become even more large as well, especially compared to Mario. He swiftly spun across the platform, but he was still no match for the plumber's speed. You didn't get this far to fail, Bowser told himself. Get it together. He emerged mid-jump, shaking the platform beneath him as he landed. Bowser Jr. had gotten back in the Koopa Clown and was zigzagging through the air in an attempt to distract Mario, but it wasn't working. Mario's attention was fully on Bowser, who had leaned back enough to look up at the roof, and breathed out a row of large fireballs. Bowser was fully aware that these now-large fireballs could not travel far upwards due to their increased mass, and he slowly began waking towards Mario as the fireballs descended from the sky, littering the platform. Mario was still able to dodge them all, and Bowser Jr., enraged, reached into the depths of the Koopa Clown and pulled out two Bob-ombs. He chucked them at Mario, and Mario picked one up to throw out of his way before it could hurt him, but at that moment, Bowser had breathed a fireball directly at Mario. The fireball hit the Bob-omb instead of Mario, but the fire activated its fuse, and the Bob-omg exploded in Mario's hands. Mario recoiled in pain with a yelp, and his fire flower vanished.