8

He is out there in the land of enemies, risking his life and putting his life line on me. Is he guilty for what he has done? Was it him who assaulted me? Was it him who saw my scar? I don't know... I don't know what I should feel. Has he been trying to atone it? With all the sweet words and fake kindness? Drowned within my own thoughts, I found myself bewildered—fooled by that man's facade.

"How far have you listened?" Souji's voice knocked me out of my thoughts and notified me that they were aware of my presence. Souji looked nonchalant but his eyes were not smiling. "Come on in."

I entered and joined in the council. Eyes stared at me for the answer. "Almost all." I answered as I sat down amongst them all.

"You have to swear." Hijikata glared at me ominously.

"I swear on my tongue. If this information leaks from me, I'll have it cut." I said my vow. Their expressions then loosened except Saitou who remained stoic. Saitou stood up, bowed at Hijikata and left.

"Is there... anything we can do to...separate Itou-san from Kondo-san?" I asked.

"Letter takes days to reach them. Not to mention the risk of being found out by the enemies." Souji explained.

"Do you mean, we have no choice but to stay here and wait for the bad news?!"

"Our commander is the heir to Tennen Rishinryu dojo. We will standby here until he returns." Hijikata folded his arms on his chest, still looking intense but there was confidence in his tone. Is this why he looked so angry? He is worried of Kondo-san and he has his mask on again. However, after noticing that I was staring at him, he stared back at me without a blink.

"Now that you have said it!" Souji cheered. "Well then, time for some sweets!" He chirped as he skipped his way out of the room.

"Manners!" Hijikata hissed and turned his eyes back on me. His frown loosened and there was a hint of gloom. "Is your chores done?"

I spontaneously nodded.

"Deliver these letters." Hijikata placed a neatly tied pack of letters in front of me. "You should visit your mother." Hijikata turned his back against me and put his focus on his desk as usual. I was dismissed without comprehending what he meant.

П

Since my chores were done for the time being, I found the letter that the demon wrote for his anonymous woman and kept it in my sash and delivered the rest of the letters to the guard by the entrance gate. I ventured back to home according to what the demon had suggested. I could spend my time somewhere else but something compelled me to do as told. Sighing as I slid the door open, I greeted, "I'm home..."

"Ah!" Mother who was right behind the door, jumped.

"What is it mother? You look like you have just seen a ghost. I'm so tired for some reasons so please do not nag me about that particular matter." With so many things to be considered, I was on edge throughout the morning. I felt as if the burden had just been lifted suddenly off my shoulders when I opened the door to my house.

"I was just about to go and get you back." Mother said.

"Huh? For what?"

"You're in big trouble, Sayo." Mother whispered, looking very troubled herself. That moment, a figure approached from the inner room. The figure had neat sohatsu hairstyle, deep emerald kimono and a fan in hand. From appearance, he looked like any other commoner but from his gestures, one could see he was no normal man. Looking at the figure, I found myself jaw-dropped. Behind the figure was Saitou whose eyebrows, under his wavy bangs, frowned slightly. Saitou gave me a knowing look.