Ch. 3

Josiah was sitting alone at a table inside the Parchment and Coffee, waiting for his friend to arrive. While waiting, he grabbed a book and started to read it. It's a new book and he wanted to see if it's good. So far, it's so good that he can't put the book down.

"Here's your coffee, sir," a waiter approached him and gave him his coffee.

"Thanks, Ced," He smiled at him and went back to reading his book.

After finishing a chapter, he put down his book and looked around the coffee shop. It is one of his favorite past time, looking around and observing the people. It seems that all the people inside are enjoying themselves. This made him smile.

After a few minutes, he saw the door open and a woman came in. She is quite thin with an average height. She has a small face, long auburn hair, and chocolate brown eyes that is partly hidden by her bangs. She is also wearing eyeglasses. He knew her face, but he didn't know her name. Her face is very familiar to him as she is always at the coffee shop every Saturday. He also knew that her favorite table is, in fact, the table that he is currently occupying. He looked around to see if there is any available table nearby, but every table is occupied, even the sofas and beanbags are occupied.

Oh well, I'll just share this table with her. And maybe, I'd get to know her name. He thought to himself.

He saw her walk up to the counter to order, grab a book in the shelf, and start walking towards the table. He hastily grabbed his book and pretended to read. He didn't want her to catch him looking at her. After a few beats, he heard her speak.

"First you stole my book, and now you stole my table."

What?

"Uh, I'm sorry?" He looked up at her with a confused expression on his face.

She glared at him a bit and said, "Last week you took the book that I was supposed to read. And now you're sitting at my favorite table. This is too much."

Last week? What is she talking about? What book?

Then it hit him.

Oh, no. Zeke, what have you done?

He composed his features and looked at her properly.

"Look, I'm sorry about last week. But we could share this table, if you want to," he said to her.

She sighed loudly and answered, "Fine."

She sat across from him and started to open the book she's holding. Josiah cannot contain himself so he blurted out the question that's in his mind.

"I'm sorry, but why were you thinking that I stole a book from you?"

She glared at him.

"Because I was about to get it from the shelf, and then you came and just grabbed it out of my reach."

Huh.

"First, I didn't steal it. Every customer inside this cafe is entitled to get any book and read it freely. So technically, I didn't steal anything from you. It just so happen that I took it faster than you could."

He saw her slightly open her mouth, maybe to argue, but he didn't give her a chance to talk. He is in a roll now.

"And second, I didn't steal your table. Does this table has your name? Was it reserved to you? I did not think so, as there is no indication. So everyone and anyone can sit here or wherever they want to. In short, I did not steal anything from you," he finished with a slight smirk on his lips.