Ch. 6

Josiah was holed up the whole morning inside his office, doing his best to finish his mounting paperwork. By lunch time, he was asked by his father to come and talk about their family business. By the time they had finsihed, it was already nightfall. He rushed back to Parchment and Coffee, hoping that he's not too late.

By the time he arrived at the coffee shop's parking lot, he figured he's too late. He saw her walk out of the door with a man. He saw them talk, and after a few beats, walk together. He saw her loop her arms through his.

He sighed. He got out of his car and walk inside the shop moodily. So what if she's already with someone? He should not get affected. He doesn't know anything about her. He doesn't even know her name. But there is this thought in his head and a feeling that he can't quite explain. He hoped that he could get to know her, to be her friend.

He's been looking at her for years, observing her. He waits for her every Saturday. Seeing her there, seated at her table, enjoying her coffee and book, makes his day a little brighter. He want to know her better. He's been waiting for the right time to approach her without it being awkward. He doesn't want to come across as stalker-ish or weird. He wants it to come naturally, even accidentally. And it did, two weeks ago. She walked to him and talked to him. Although admittedly, it was not the way he imagined it. He hoped that that will be the start.

He smiled a little, remembering her accusations. He guess it wouldn't happen if not for his twin brother, Zeke.

Zeke who almost ruined everything, but turns out, made a way for him. If he did not steal her book, he will not notice him. Though she did not know that it was not him who took it, it was still the reason why she talked to him. He remembered confronting and asking Zeke about that incident.

"Why did you steal the book from one of my customers last week?" Josiah asked his brother as he entered his office.

"What? What are you doing here?" Hezekiah asked, confused.

"Last Saturday, you grabbed one book out of the customer's reach. Why? You don't read books."

Zeke thought for a moment, trying to remember what his brother is talking about, "Oh, that. I remember now."

Josh crossed his arm as he waits for his brother to explain.

"Well, Karinna mentioned that book to me. She said she's been wanting to read that for ages," Zeke rolled his eyes, "Anyway, I don't want to disappoint her. She had a rough week at school, so I want to cheer her up with that book."

"So you're the one who brought Karinna there. You know she's grounded 'til the end of this month. So you really grabbed that book from someone?"

"I did not!" Zeke said with mock outrage, "I got it first off the shelf. And I did not bring Karinna there. She went by herself. I just waited for her with the book. And how did you know about that?"

Josh sighed, "I came across that woman. She accused me of stealing the book."

Zeke laughed, "That's funny. She accused the one who own the whole coffee shop of stealing," He continued to laugh but stopped abruptly when he saw the look on his brother's face, "What? It's not a big deal, is it?"

"She's a regular there," He answered as  a way of explanation.

Zeke looked at him with a dawning understanding on his face.

"Oh, it's her."

"What? What do you mean it's her? What are you talking about?"

"The one you've been looking at for ages. The woman Ian's been talking about earlier."

"What? No! Ian was talking nonsense. I'm not pining for anyone. I was just saying that you should not do that again to any of the customers. You know," Josh rambled.

"Don't be so defensive, brother. It's kind of obvious. And I didn't say pining. I said looking at," Zeke smiled wickedly. He loves teasing his twin.

"You're talking nonsense, too."

"Talking nonsense, am I? Tell me, Josiah. Will you come into my office and barge in without any invitation just to ask me about that incident if it involves other customer? If it's not her? "

"Of course," Josiah answered immediately.

Hezekiah smiled knowingly and shakes his head, "Oh, Josiah. If you could only see your face right know. Why don't you just admit it."

He frowned, "Admit what?"

"That you like this woman."

He stared at his brother, dumbfounded.
"I don't even know her. How would I like someone whose name I don't even know?"

Hezekiah just smiled at him, "Well, it's up to you to find out."

He shook his head to get rid of his brother's words. He continued to walk inside the coffee shop.

"It's not what you think," Ced said as he passes him, holding the order of the nearby table.

"What?" he asked distractedly, still lost in his thoughts.

"I said it's not what you think. I saw that look on your face and I saw that you saw," Ced continued to walk towards the table and Josiah followed him.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Here's your order, Ma'am," Ced smiled at the customer before turning around and facing his boss, "I know you've seen Miss... Bookworm with someone. But it's not what you think."

"Miss Bookworm huh?"

Ced started walking back to the counter. Josiah continued to follow him.

"She likes books and I don't know her name, too," he said with a shrug, "anyway, it's not her boyfriend. Or something like that."

"How did you know? Then who was it?" Josiah asked incredulously.

"It's her brother."

"Again, how did you know that?"

"I kind of eavesdropped on them as I deliver orders around. I heard him call her 'little sis'. I get a look at them and they kinda resemble each other, too. So I figured they are siblings. Didn't you notice their resemblance?" Ced explained as he wave his hand nonchalantly.

Josiah gaped at him," I didn't notice. It's dark outside."

"And your focus is only on her," he said knowingly, "anyway, I think you still have your chance. We don't know yet if she's in a relationship or not. But she always come here alone. So man up and talk to her next Saturday."

"What chance? What do you... I don't.. I-" he stammered.

Ced shook his head and smirked, "Oh c'mon, Boss. I know you want to talk to her. You've been looking at her everytime she's here. Just go and talk to her next week, yeah?"

"Don't call me 'boss'. You know I don't like that. And I don't know what you me--"

"Oh, and by the way, she already finished the second book," Ced cut him off.

He didn't have the chance to reply as Ced clapped his back and went back to his work. He was left gaping at the audacity of Cedric to call him out on his interest in her.

Brother. Huh.

He shook his head once more to clear his thoughts. It seems that everyone around him thought the same thing. Maybe they're right. Maybe it's time that he makes a move to get to know her.

_______

Please Vote and Comment. ☺♥