Chapter...14

Trigger warning mentions of physical assault and graphic description of death

A week later

After that day the list was released and the town went through a frenzy. Reporters had a field day and the replies were the same with everyone who was on the list. No further comment. My mother pretend like it wasn't all happening but I knew she was just as confused. With my father, we were still yet to feel his wrath, he wasn't back from China. 

"Oh darling you look absolutely beautiful, my baby is graduating"

"But I'm not your baby am I?" I mummer. She looks at me through the mirror her expression stoic. 

"Jane. I haven't asked you but I pray to God you weren't the one to do something as stupid as that. Did you post that list online?"

"What list?" I feign innocence.

"Sweetie, I'm sorry but I can't protect you from your father. So tell me the truth, we know you've been research about that Storks project. I mean you visited that security guard did he tell you or give you something." 

"I didn't post anything okay."  that part was true.

My mother finished tying up the corset of my dress making it tighter than expected. It was a floor length champagne dress with a slit, matched with black Versace pumps that my mother begged me to wear. I hadn't told her about the storks project mainly because she wouldn't be honest and two because she was afraid of my father. I tried to hide the giant  black and blue bruise, thanks to Mike, on my face with lots of foundation. I told my mother I had knocked into a door and she bought it.

"Can I be left alone for a bit?" I clipped the rose necklace on.

"Of course sweetie, I'll be in the kitchen if you need me" she sashayed out the room leaving me in the emptiness of my room

The knock on the door pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Hey" Sebastian's eyes went wide when he saw me in my dress.

"Hey, how come I didn't hear you coming in?" I admired his suit.

"Your mum let me up, she seems vexed" I  shrug and grabbed his hand to sit him down. 

"You look really beautiful" He looked up at me, love only evident in his eyes. Fuck, what have done.

"Thank you, I think you look quite dashing as well" I smiled softly.

"What happened to your cheek?" I quickly looked in the mirror and saw that my bruise was getting darker.

"Did someone hit you Jane-"

"I knocked into a door that's all" I quickly covered it up.

"I hope you aren't late for your graduation and Jane when you come back we are going to have a little chat"

My fathers voice vibrated uncomfortably down my spine. Almost on cue my bruise started to ache. I pulled Sebastian past my father not even making eye contact with him. I could feel my hands getting sweaty so I let go off his hand.

"You guys are already leaving?"my mother stood up quickly getting the infamous camera that has taken all my prom, spring dances and now graduation.

"Come on the last picture for you birdies to look at after you leave for college." I mentally groaned but I put a fake smile.

When we finally made it into the car I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in.

"What happened this past week Jane, one minute your family is trending the next you go MIA?" he asked looking at me sympathetically.