6

aden's lack of air

-

On their way to the beach, Aden is nervous.

His teeth sink into his lower lip hard enough to probably leave a bruise, and despite the fact that he's wearing his warmest sweater, the way the chilly evening air ruffles his hair and caresses his skin everywhere it's exposed leaves the back of his neck littered with goosebumps and his cheeks a faint shade of pink.

His hand, in Jia's hold, is the only part of him that's not cold.

"It's okay, Aden," she assures him softly. "I know I joked about it a lot, but if you don't like it there, we can come back, I promise."

Like a bit of weight has been lifted off him, some of the stiffness goes away from his shoulders and he smiles faintly at her. "Thanks, Jia."

Honestly, Aden isn't just nervous. He's worried that Neo had invited him out of courtesy and would probably not even notice when Aden arrives. Besides... wouldn't he be too busy celebrating their win with his friends?

I'm glad Jia is here.

If Neo doesn't talk to him, it's not going to be a big deal. Aden can stay for a bit, congratulate them, and then leave. And he would have to learn to be around people he isn't already familiar with someday, right? so this might be it. Good or bad, this is where he's going to start.

Except, when they reach the beach, less than ten seconds in, before Aden can even process what's happening around the place, there's a boy jogging in his direction.

"Aden!"

Aden looks around him as if expecting another person with the same name to pop out, and then back at the boy in front of him who basically barrels into him, making Aden stumble mostly out of surprise, almost throwing both of them back on the sand.

Huffing at the effort, Aden somehow holds himself and Neo upright, too surprised to feel his heart beating in his throat.

"You came," Neo says, purposely making himself smaller with his arms wrapped around Aden's waist, his head tipped back with a faint smile playing on his lips as he looks up at Aden.

The latter blinks, his eyes as wide as saucers as he glances at Jia, his eyes screaming 'help me'. She just stares at them with her mouth parted in pure surprise, hands hanging by her sides helplessly. Aden has no idea what's going on.

They have grown a little closer over the past few days, but Aden doesn't know if they're close enough to... hug like this. They're friends now, sure, but Aden really doesn't remember the last time they were this close.

And he's pretty darn sure that if they have hugged before, he would remember.

He blinks a few more times, the realization that Neo is wrapped around him like a toddler basically ramming into his brain.

Aden feels a little lightheaded.

"Neo..." he croaks, looking around to see if everyone is staring at them. They aren't.

"Aden?" the said boy chirps.

"What..." Aden swallows, avoiding his eyes and at the same time, trying to hold back the ridiculous blush slowly taking over his cheeks. "What are you doing?"

"Expressing how happy I am that you came!"

Oh, my God...

Aden hears Jia laugh, and the back of his neck begins to heat up.