FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR
Release

         ARLO TOOK A bite out of her toast as she scrolled through her phone with Izzy next to her doing the exact same thing. Diego sat on the other side of Arlo, happily eating his cereal.

"Izzy, Lo, off your phones, please." Manuel requested. He had just come back from a business trip which he was away for for a few days. "No mindless scrolling at the breakfast table."

The two sisters exchanged an exasperated look before they simultaneously locked their phones and placed them face down on the table.

"Hows the school year going, Iz?" Manuel asked.

Izzy raised her eyebrows as she played with her fork. She wasn't exactly sold on her parents being present. "Its okay." She shrugged. "Boring as usual."

"Why is that?" Esme questioned.

Izzy shrugged again. "Just is."

Manuel looked down at his eggs and bacon before he turned to Arlo. "Lo, your mother told me the interview went okay. How do you feel?"

"Yeah, it was...good." Arlo replied, wiping her mouth with her napkin.

"I hear Polo is back at school." Manuel recalled.

Arlo froze and swallowed. "Yeah, hes back. I can't believe they actually let him back."

"Why? Didn't Carla retract her statement?"

"Yes." Arlo exhaled. "But that doesn't mean what happened wasn't true."

"Arlo, honey, are you really suggesting Polo did that to Marina?" Esme asked, looking at her daughter incredulously.

"I'm not suggesting, mom. I know."

"It's true." Izzy chimed in.

"And how do you know about this, young lady?" Manuel queried, looking at his youngest daughter.

"Because unlike some people, I've been here the whole time." The girl grumbled. Before anyone could say anything, she stood up with her phone. "I'm gonna go eat with Alma."

Arlo sighed as she watched the girl retreat into the kitchen. Esme turned to her. "You talk to your sister about this stuff?"

"I can't keep it from her." Arlo argued. "Social media exists. She and Marina were friends. In fact, she's friends with all my friends. They care about her and vice versa. And I'm not just gonna lie to her. That wouldn't make anything better."

"Nevertheless, we've known Polo all his life. He's a sweet boy. He wouldn't be capable of something like that."

"No offence, mom, but you don't know Polo at all– neither of you do. You only think you do."

"The judge wouldn't let him go if–"

"The system doesn't always work, dad." Arlo interrupted harshly. "You should know that. Besides, Izzy's right. I appreciate you guys making an effort, I really do, but you have no idea what's been going on for the past year. So, please, just stop pretending that you do."

Esme licked her lips. "Then tell us–"

"I'm trying. But you're pretty damn adamant on not believing me." Arlo huffed before she picked up her plate of toast. "I think I'll join Alma and Izzy."

          ARLO WALKED THROUGH school with Rebeca and Nadia after class, discussing their homework assignment when they arrived at the front of the building.