Chapter 2: Memories and Interviews

This chapter is dedicated to Stevenantwi for...... well, helping me write it. Thanks Steve

******

I was lost in wonderland when I happened to hear my phone kept ringing.

I checked the caller ID and it was Jennifer

Why would she be calling me at 4am?!

I lazily got off my bed and grumbled as I answered my best friend who had just magnificently spoilt my sleep

"Hello Jenny" I said in a 'whythe hell did you wake me up at 4 am' tone.

"Heyy Ally" she said "I am sorry for calling you so early but I just could not wait to tell you the news I received yesterday evening"

"Don't worry Jenny it  is fine"

Of course it's not but she's my bestfriend right?

"Just tell me why you called at 4 am.  Please skip the details,I need to sleep. I don't want to wake up with a migraine in the morning".

"Okay Ally ,umm you remember Jones and sons Inc., the business firm I sent an application a few weeks ago,they asked me to come for an interview today."

"That's great,Jenny. I wish you all the best"

"Thanks. You can go to bed now. I'll come by later today to tell you how it went"

"Sure",I said and hanged up. I still needed to find out if the Goldilocks in my dream would get caught like in the actual story.

My alarm clock rang waking me up for the second time this morning. It was unusually loud today,I didn't know why. Why did I not put it off yesterday? It's not as if I'm going to school.

Ha! School. Just a few years ago,this alarm determined my future. Ok I may be exaggerating but it did determine how my day would go.

I opened my eyes and it was 7 o clock, the sun was already up.

I was tired. I wanted to sleep again but the goddamn alarm won't just stop ringing. Out of frustration, I threw a pillow at it and it fell and got broken.

Oops

From my room I  shouted,"Mom!My alarm fell and it is broken"

I think I heard her say "We will get you a new one when we go shopping tomorrow and get down here you are late for breakfast"

"But it's 7 am!" I complained

"I have to go to work,hurry up and come down."

Aarghh!!

 In 10 minutes,I was ready and down at the dining table. Mom made pasta. It was really nice. My mom is an excellent cook. I put an enormous quantity of leftover pasta in the refrigerator,I might eat some when I get hungry later in the day. After gulping down a glass of orange juice,I washed the dishes.

"Ally,I'm leaving. I'll see you after work",my mom hollered to me from the living room.

"Sure Mom. Have a nice day at work",I shouted back.

"Thanks dear",I heard her say before she shut the front door.

In a few minutes,I was done with the dishes. Since I had nothing to do,I decided to go back to sleep.

It's not my fault. When you've completed school and you have nothing doing,what else would you do than catch up on all the sleep you lost studying and preparing for tests and quizzes.

I texted Jenny a "good luck with your interview" and put my phone on charge before flopping myself on my bed.

When I woke up,it was almost noon. I checked my phone and noticed Jennifer sent me a text.

Thanks Ally. I'll come over as soon as the interview is over. *Fingers crossed*

Looking around my room,I realized how much I had missed it. My study desk where I had spent hours working on school work,my bedside table and my lamp which I mostly forgot to turn off before falling asleep because of how exhausting the day had been,my wardrobe which I still hadn't rearranged,my dressing mirror where I checked myself out every morning; even though there actually nothing much to check out. Thoughts of prom and the highschool parties I had snuck out to with Jennifer started to flood my mind and it was only a matter of time before the one thing or should I say one person I tried so hard to forget resurfaced in my memory.

It's been four years and I still couldn't get Ryan out of my head. I'm so grateful to have had Jennifer and Greg with me all through those years. Speaking of Greg,he hadn't called me all morning. That's strange. Maybe I'll call him when I'm done.

As if on cue,my phone rang.

"Hey babe", Greg greeted

Babe

That name did nothing but remind me of the first time Ryan called me that.

"Hey Greg. What's up?"

"I'm good. I didn't call you earlier,I'm sorry. I was kinda busy with something."

"Don't worry about it"

"Hope you're good"

"Yeah I am. Thanks for asking"

"No need dear."

We spoke for a while and he hang up.

I was watching a movie when I heard the doorbell.

I bet it's Jennifer. I was right.

"Allyyyyyyyyyy",she hugged me the moment I opened the door.

"You got the job?"

"I got the job!!"

"OMG!!" We both started squealing and jumping like high schoolers whose crushes had just asked them on a double date.

"Congratulations Jenny. I am so happy for you."

"Thanks Ally"

"So when do you start?"

"As soon as possible"

"As soon as possible?"

"Yeah. But don't worry, we're still gonna see each other often"

To be honest,I was having mixed feelings: on one hand I was really happy for her,her dream was finally materializing and she was going to become a lawyer,wow

On the other hand,she getting a job means we won't be seeing each other like before, she was going to be busy with work and then she'll get tired after work and all that,but all in all,I wanted the best for her.

She said the interview was really easy for her and I don't doubt it. Jennifer is pretty smart.

She helped me cook supper and we ate before she went home.

Before I fell asleep,I tried to register the fact that Jennifer had a job.

******

Hey there lovelies.

I hope y'all liked this chapter.

So to clarify things for those who haven't read the prequel to this story, Ryan was Allison's boyfriend from high school. But he just disappeared when they were in college, without any explanations. Allison wants to move on but apparently, she still loves him.

If you still don't understand anything, feel free to ask in the comments.

Thanks for reading

- Jess💖